FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio in windy conditions

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Nicastro
Audio in windy conditions
on Oct 7, 2008 at 4:43:43 pm

We are doing a shoot on top of an observation tower. The tower is 184 feet in the air, it's a two camera shoot with three hosts. The dilemma we have is that it is very windy at that height. The tower is located on one of the great lakes so the wind is fairly strong all the time. The only thing we have going for us is we are on the south side of the tower and wind comes from the north. So we have party of the structure blocking the wind, but not entirely. What would you recommend aside from very good wind screens? And what would be a good set of wind screens? We are using the Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 Series with the standard mics that came with the units. An idea I had was to construct large panels on either side of the hosts, off camera of course, to help block with the wind. Would that work? I'm also posting this in the Live & Stage Events forum.

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: Audio in windy conditions
on Oct 7, 2008 at 5:35:32 pm

Hi Eric-

You might try Rycote Windjammers for lavs. You may just have to attach the lavs under clothing. It's one of those situations where you'll just have to see what works at the time.

As far as trying to block the wind, you will probably end up blocking the light as well. That's if the panels will even stay up in a high wind; anything that can be turned into a sail, will :o)

Dave

Return to posts index

Eric Nicastro
on Oct 7, 2008 at 9:41:43 pm

What is the difference between a windscreen and a wind cover? Which would work better? Lighting wouldn't be an issue since we'll have our own lighting setup.

To keep the panels up would just require some heavy sandbagging on the bases. I'm guessing that's one of those things we'll have to test to see if it would work.

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Oct 8, 2008 at 12:13:18 am

When I think of a windscreen, I think of those pieces of foam (some with metal screens) that come with the mic. They're basically useless in any kind of wind. The only thing that might work are the Windjammers (which is a brand name) made by Rycote. They're made out of faux fur and fit over your mic and windscreen.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Oct 8, 2008 at 2:37:30 pm

Hello Eric and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Rycote makes overcovers and Furries:
http://www.rycote.com/products/personal_mics/overcovers/
http://www.rycote.com/products/personal_mics/furries/

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Guy Cochran
on Oct 31, 2008 at 7:25:58 am

Could you possibly rent a blimp/hairy set-up with a shotgun?
In case your lav gets pummeled, it'd be nice to have a good backup.

Guy Cochran
DVcreators.net - DVeStore

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]