FORUMS: list search recent posts

What general changes are made in post?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kat hayes
What general changes are made in post?
on Oct 6, 2008 at 2:26:39 am

I am going to shoot video with an HVX200 and a Countryman E6 that is directly connected to the camera. Assuming the recorded audio is good and the levels are fine, is there any need to bring the audio into a program during post to make any changes? Are there any filters or other settings that are generally recommended to be applied to audio? The final delivery of the video will be QT and FLV compressed as H.264.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: What general changes are made in post?
on Oct 6, 2008 at 5:10:02 am

Hello Kat and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

'Generally" is a pretty big spectrum. I could write a book about it. Since I've already written a book about production audio maybe I should do one on postproduction audio.

A B6 to a camera is OK, but a lot depends on the person speaking, how the mic was mounted, and where it was shot.

The general idea is to clean up the sound, make any EQ changes to improve intelligibility, compress or limit to increase the loudness and make sure you didn't overdo it.

There's a world of post production audio. Not all the tools are required for each job, but an experienced post person can really make a soundtrack pop.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Oct 7, 2008 at 2:22:57 pm

[Ty Ford] "Since I've already written a book about production audio maybe I should do one on postproduction audio."

Please do. Your production audio book was a huge help to me. Having one about postproduction from a trusted source would be nice.

Michael.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Peter Groom
on Oct 10, 2008 at 10:58:43 am

Hi Kat
Im a post production dubbing mixer of 23 years. Generally speaking, people might think their audio is fine as is, until they hear the version after a mix. Then they hear the difference.
Bad or average sound will drag down the entire programme with it.
Dont underestimate the audio track - lavish it with effort - as much as the scripting, casting shooting editing and graphics.

peter

Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]