FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rank these wireless systems

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Golden
Rank these wireless systems
on Sep 29, 2008 at 9:51:21 pm

I'm on the verge of purchasing a couple of new wireless systems to utilize with body packs and Countryman "over the ear" mics. As I read about the changes coming in February 2009, I don't want to make a mistake.

With what you know from your own use, what you have heard, and in your gut, how would you rank these three brands? (highest quality (preferred) first)

Shure
Lectrosonics
Sabine

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: Rank these wireless systems
on Sep 29, 2008 at 11:29:55 pm

These would be my personal picks and could be debated by others.
I have used many systems mainly in Outside Broadcast TV production and some location work.
All the systems had good locations and high gain antenna or /and boosters.
All in the UHF band

1. Lectrosonic Digital (recomend the use of lithium batteries)
The Lectrosonic system is VERY flexible with mics and plug in TX units
2. Sennheiser Diversity
3. Micron (location)
4. Lectrosonics analogue
5. Shure (possibly the best for hand mics / studio based system)
6. Sony Diversity
7. Sennheiser NON diversity
8. Audio Technica Diversity

I have not heard of the sabine system until your posting

I hope this is of some help.......

Return to posts index

Rodney Morris
on Sep 30, 2008 at 12:28:53 am

Re: Brian's choice #3 - Micron

Our church has used a dual-channel Micron system for the last couple of years. It has not been very reliable - in fact the handheld is useless and now the bodypack seems to be tanking. I can't recommend Micron systems at all.

I use Lectrosonics for my field work.

Others use Sennheiser / Audio Technica / Sony... In my opinion the rest are on a lower plateau than the Lectro. That doesn't mean you can't get good sound with these systems. I used several of the Sony models in the late 90's for a couple of years. Good but not great. The Lectros are more robust and sound better when properly set.

Is this for location work or an installed setting?

Rodney

Freelance Sound Technician/Mixer

Return to posts index

Greg Golden
on Sep 30, 2008 at 1:31:33 am

Thanks for your response. This is for a permanent installation. It is for a large church auditorium (4,000 seats). I have four Shure UHF diversity systems for body pack mics (Countryman ear mics) in place -- had 'em for 10 years -- and 8 Sennheiser handheld systems. I like the higher power possibilities with the Lectrosonics; I have no experience with them and don't know anyone who does. I appreciate your insights.

Greg

Greg Golden

Return to posts index

Greg Curda
on Sep 30, 2008 at 2:08:39 am

You might want to look at the Lectro Venue series. Haven't used it yet but hear many good things. Sounds like you have open space and line of sight. Most systems should work well in those conditions. To me, the key is getting your receiver antennas up in the air. This has never failed me.

Be careful about high power transmitters, 250mW is too much for your application, in my opinion. 100mW should be just fine. If you're not taking hits or dropouts now, you're in good shape. 250mW might actually cause more interference. This has been my experience with high power, close range work in the field.

Just thoughts...

Greg

Return to posts index

Rodney Morris
on Sep 30, 2008 at 3:56:03 pm

In my earlier post, I stated that our church was using Micron systems. In fact though, our church has MiPro systems NOT Micron. MiPro is crap, IMO. Micron, however, I have no opinion of - I've never used them. My apologies to Micron and to you guys...

Freelance Sound Technician/Mixer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]