FORUMS: list search recent posts

blank lfe track in 5.1 mix

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
massimiliano cestari
blank lfe track in 5.1 mix
on Sep 28, 2008 at 11:23:59 pm

hi!

I burnt 2 surround mixes (one ac3 and the other one it's dts)but when i play this two discs (with Cyberlink PowerDVD) the respective lfe-tracks (output 4 on my soundcard) are blank, tough i had a specific track on them during mixing and, later, encoding.

i used dvdlab pro to do the two separate authorings, from a video file to which i added the audio files, which were encoded with soft encode (for the dvd-video with the ac-3 mix version) and surecode dvd dts (for the dvd-video with the dts mix version).

my soundcard is a motu ultralite. i checked the settings of both software and hardware but i dont't find anything useful to succeed in having the lfe tracks played.

any suggestion??

thanks everybody!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: blank lfe track in 5.1 mix
on Sep 29, 2008 at 9:36:59 am

Hello Masimillano and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

I'm not a surround guru, but I would suggest you try your authorings played back on a regular consumer DVD system with surround, just to see what happens.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

massimiliano cestari
on Sep 29, 2008 at 10:31:42 am

hello ty, thanks for your welcome and suggestion;

i'll definetely test my authorings the way you propose, i'm just guessing there must be something wrong since i cannot hear the lfe channel, anyway i'll post the result of my tests as soon as I do them.

i think this must be very clear to any expert guy but i don't see how this fact of the blank lfe makes sense, what did i miss during the all process? or is it just because of the playback system? cyberlink powerdvd is supposed to support ac3 and dts format.

??

Max

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 29, 2008 at 10:39:13 am

Hey Max,

Also try playing a commercial DVD you know to have an LFE track on your system to make sure it's behaving properly.

On, and it's a computer so do a restart first.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on Oct 1, 2008 at 2:09:18 am

Hello Mass,

When you encoded the 5.1, both dolby and dts, did you set the voice normalization to -31?

Jeff

Return to posts index

massimiliano cestari
on Oct 1, 2008 at 9:16:32 am

@ ty

i tried playing a commercial dvd and neither it had the lfe track . I used a 5.1 copy of "the rocky horror picture show" and every channel was ok but the lfe track(except for random moments of glitchy crazyness when every channel was putting out white noise).

this should mean that i'm not able to playback an lfe track from my soundcard? i heaven't tried on a dvd player with surround system yet but soon I will.

@Jeff

hello;

I don't remember the passage exactly but I'm quite sure I didn't turn down any channel while choosing encoding options. anyway i'll pay more attention to it in my next try.

I'll post what happens.

p.s: do you have any advice on a model of dvd player that surely supports dvd-r/rw and cd-r/rw? Do you have any recommended brand/model in terms of compatibility with those formats?

Thanks for your attention!

Max

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Oct 1, 2008 at 11:37:32 am

[massimiliano cestari] "this should mean that i'm not able to playback an lfe track from my soundcard? i heaven't tried on a dvd player with surround system yet but soon I will. "

Please let us know how that goes. I'm guessing you may be encoding, but your rig doesn't playback.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

massimiliano cestari
on Nov 13, 2008 at 6:10:19 pm

HI,

sorry for the long pause, anyway everything seems to be working properly now;

I did another dvd burning, with different software, and managed to test the result on a basic dvd homeplayer, the sub's there and everything's fine!

Thanks again for your attention,

regards

Max.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 13, 2008 at 9:17:44 pm

Max,

Thanks for checking in and letting us know.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]