FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lapel Mic: Good and Inexpensive

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Bass
Lapel Mic: Good and Inexpensive
on Sep 23, 2008 at 2:17:58 am

Can anyone recommend a lapel microphone that is fully wireless, in that it runs on either batteries or phantom, and does not need to be plugged into a wall; and is fairly inexpensive. I'd like to remain below $400 if possible.

I was using a very nice system that needed to be plugged into a wall, but as this offers compromised mobility and, most importantly, an associate lost the actual microphone a few weeks back, it appears high time to upgrade.

My knowledge of audio is fairly poor, and I am therefore sorry to be bothering you all with what probably seems a fairly naive question.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

*Craig*

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Lapel Mic: Good and Inexpensive
on Sep 23, 2008 at 3:17:15 am

Hello Craig and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

$400 is pretty low for any sort of quality. I know of no wireless at that price that I'd trust.

The Sennheiser G2 300 series comes in around $600. Most people replace the ME2 mic with a MKE2 or something else.

The Audio Technica ATW-1811 at $499 is AT's single channel version of their 1800 dual channel version.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Craig Bass
on Sep 23, 2008 at 4:36:00 am

Thanks for the input, Ty.

I've been doing a bit of research and have come across the Sony UWP-V1; it is a bit more than I was anticipating spending, but if the quality is right, I can shell out the extra cash.

Does anyone have experience with this system?

*Craig*

Return to posts index

Rodney Morris
on Sep 23, 2008 at 12:57:11 pm

Welcome Craig,

What exactly is the application for this system? This sounds like a small meeting/conference room with low level sound reinforcement. If I am correct, then let me offer a suggestion or two.

You are going to have to spend some money to get a very good sounding wireless system. There's just no way around it. Oversimplified, the more money you can spend on the wireless, the better it's going to sound. If sound quality is a priority over mobility, then you may want to consider just purchasing another hard wired lavalier microphone and an XLR cable to run it to the wall. It won't be as mobile, but the price will be in your budget and the sound will be MUCH better than it would be in a low to maybe mid-level wireless system . And you don't have the hassles of wireless interference.

IF the mobility of the mic is more important than quality AND you can use a rack mounted receiver, then there are plenty of options available from Sennheiser, Shure, Audio Technica, etc. in the $500 - $1000 range that will work just fine for you. Remember, in a wireless system you are paying for all the technology that goes into making it mobile not necessarily making it sound good, especially in lower price point systems (sub $500).

I hope this helps you somewhat. Don't hesitate to ask any questions around here, even if it seems naive. None of us were born knowing all this stuff - we had to learn it too.

Rodney

Freelance Sound Technician/Mixer

Return to posts index

Craig Bass
on Sep 23, 2008 at 6:47:10 pm

Again, the input is much appreciated.

I'd like to describe my situation a bit more fully, and get everyone's opinion on how it would best be approached.

Beginning next week, I will start production on a short documentary about a local man who converts his home into an elaborate haunted house for Halloween. Most of the shooting will take place with him throughout his house, and then in his yard as that is where the majority of the display takes place. However, I will also be following him to various stores, etc. as he prepares the display.

In the past, I have generally relied on a shotgun for the majority of audio when it comes to mobile, reality footage; however, this time around I will be on my own for the majority of production. Due to the fact that mobility is key, and that I will be flying solo, I figured that a completely wireless lav system would be best for this; however, one flaw in this arrangement is that the camera I am shooting on, the XH-A1, only allows for either onboard mic or XLR, but not both - I would therefore not be able to get good ambience.

At my disposal, I have the onboard mic, and a nice shotgun, and am willing to purchase a new lav.

Any suggestions? What would you guys do in this situation?

*Craig*

Return to posts index

Rodney Morris
on Sep 24, 2008 at 1:29:47 am

Boy, was I WAY off...

The Sennheiser EW100ENGG2 system is what I'd recommend. $700 gets you a transmitter, a receiver that can mount to a hot shoe, an omni lapel mic and output cables. Plus it has a frequency scanner built into the receiver. I had my hands on one last week and they have a pretty good build quality. Both the transmitter and receiver operate on AA batteries.

Return to posts index

Rodney Morris
on Sep 24, 2008 at 1:38:39 am

Forgot to mention that the Sennheiser EW100ENGG2 system also comes with a plug-on transmitter (in addition to the belt pack transmitter) to plug into handheld mics and also shotgun mics (wireless shotgun mic, very handy).

You can get the Sennheiser EW112P-G2, which is the same but without the plug-on transmitter, for only $550.

Return to posts index

Peter Perry
on Sep 23, 2008 at 11:36:18 pm

You could mount your shotgun on the mount on the camera and connect it to one of the XLR inputs and then connect your wireless to the other XLR input. Then you will have both the lav and shotgun.
I will echo what the others have said about wireless units. Inexpensive wireless mics can be more trouble than they are worth.
The Sennheiser 300 I have used and I like them for the price.
Peter

3P Video Services
http://www.3pvideo.com
Audio/Video Production
Serving the Northeast

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Sep 24, 2008 at 2:55:54 am

Craig:

In your situation, I would seriously consider renting a wireless system like a Lectro 400 series. You will be in retail environments with lots of RF, fluorescent lighting with noisy ballasts. traveling through lots of different environments.

You do need a wireless system but I agree with the others, you get what you pay for.

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]