FORUMS: list search recent posts

new headset mics

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Cohen
new headset mics
on Sep 9, 2008 at 7:18:28 pm

I noticed, starting with the Olympics, and now all the live political coverage, that every on-camera anchor is wearing a new headset mic. It must be good at sound pickup in noisy settings. Does anyone know what they are using?

Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

Rodney Morris
Re: new headset mics
on Sep 9, 2008 at 9:19:57 pm

I've not seen this yet, but more than likely they are using the Countryman E6. It's the B6 capsule mounted on a headset. Getting the mic closer to the source is always best in a noisy environment. In the past, they may have worked a stick (handheld) mic very close. That's not always visually pleasing, so I can see where the headset mics would be helpful. However, I've not had any requests yet by any of the major networks to provide headset mics on location.

Rodney

Freelance Sound Technician/Mixer

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: new headset mics
on Sep 9, 2008 at 10:19:25 pm

For the Olympics Audio Technica supplied mics to NBC, including the AT-892 which is the headset mic you saw them using. Not sure if those carried over to NBC's convention coverage but it would stand to reason that they did.

It also may depend on what network you're watching; some may be using the AT while others are using the Countryman.

Remember the old way: talent wearing huge headphones with those EV mics that looked like handheld shotgun mics?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]