FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiple Live mics

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Spaulding
Multiple Live mics
on Sep 6, 2008 at 7:37:45 pm

I recently had a shoot with 5 lavs in studio setting that I had all sort of phasing issues with. Then, I recently watched a cable talk show with 5 closely seated people yelling at each other and their audio was perfect. It looked like they were using the same Tram mics I have. The difference is that they were wearing two mics each. Is that just for redundancy or is there a special way to set up multiple mics where people talk over each other and still the audio is clear and discrete. Is there a way to take these mics into a mixer and mix them live into two channels or do you have to isolate each channel and fix it in post. Is this something I missed in my college studio classes? My experience is as a field video photographer and not studio production.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Michael

Return to posts index

Peter Perry
Re: Multiple Live mics
on Sep 6, 2008 at 10:23:28 pm

Hi Michael,
First, the double mic thing was, as you said, for safety purposes in case of hits or failure.
Weere you actually mixing the show? Were you ducking non speakers just a little to help with the phasing...you must do that.
The other problem inexperienced people run into is having too much gain in the setup..more than is needed. Make sure you don't have the gain cranked on the mics if you don't need it to make level. This often happens when you get mic checks fom people and they give you the a low, timid mic check, then the show hits and everyone is screaming.
Make sure you also check the mics to make sure they are in phase before the show.
Peter

3P Video Services
http://www.3pvideo.com
Audio/Video Production
Serving the Northeast

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]