Timecode and 702T/744T

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Jones
Timecode and 702T/744T
on Sep 2, 2008 at 7:25:04 pm

Hi Everyone

Just a question about jamming timecode to a camera for a shoot coming up:

The DP wants to run double-system using a Sony DSR-500 DVCAM; I will be using a Sound Devices 702T or 744T. I was told that I would have to use an Ambient "Lockit Box" to jam it. But the camera is not HD (and doesn't require tri-level sync). Is it not possible to jam it going from the timecode out of the recorder to TC in on the camera? Or does it depend on what TC [frame rate] we're using? Or something else?

I've jammed TC from one camera to another this way, but not from an audio recorder. The manual for the 702T isn't real clear on doing this.

Any advice would be most helpful :o)

Dave

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: Timecode and 702T/744T
on Sep 3, 2008 at 3:09:31 pm

You can go either way. The timecode system on cameras is not crystal sync so it drifts. The 702/744 is probably more accurate.

For verfication, at least ask the rental house or better yet, call Location Sound or Trew Audio and talk to them. We usually pull TC from the slate.

Also, we normally use an Azden wireless mic system to send the TC wireless to the camera instead of using cables.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

George Burbano
Re: Timecode and 702T/744T
on Sep 3, 2008 at 11:20:11 pm

the 702t/744t will jam timecode in all framerates. If you are renting either one for the shoot, rent an Ambient RF Slate, hook up the tc transmitter to the audio recorder, and use the slate. As you slate each shot, you have your timecode right from the slate. Otherwise you can jam tc directly to the camera, just get the right cable.

If you use the Ambient slate, just make sure the dip switches are set right. It's really easy. If you decide to use this, email me and I will email you my settings. I set it up with the techs at Gotham in NYC, when I purchased both the ambient Rf tc slate and the 702T.

You think the instructions on the 702T/744T is bad, wait till you seen the ones that come with the Ambient slate

George

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]