FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can you use a Azden SGM 1x to record directly to my PC?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Moya
Can you use a Azden SGM 1x to record directly to my PC?
on Aug 30, 2008 at 4:44:28 am

I decided to plug my Azden SGM into my computer's microphone input plug and to my surprise it did not work.... my other cheap microphone works fine...

Any ideas as to why or how I could get the Azden mic to work with my Computer to do voice over work? Or, will the Azden not work connected to a computer's microphone input plug?

Asus mobo with built in soundcard - Realtek AC'97 Audio / WinXP

Joe

BTW, Azden mic works fine plugged into my camera

Return to posts index

Stephen Muir
Re: Can you use a Azden SGM 1x to record directly to my PC?
on Aug 30, 2008 at 1:27:55 pm

You may be dealing with two issues, here: connecting a balanced XLR mic to an unbalanced 1/8" input, and powering the mic.

If memory serves, the SGM 1x can operate from either phantom power or an internal battery, so you'll need to pop a battery in there.

To connect a balanced mic to an unbalanced input, you'll need either an adapter box (eg. beachtek) or a simple adapter cable.

Also, check that the laptop's soundcard software is set to accept a "mic" input rather than a "line" input.

The recording setup you describe may be awfully noisey for voiceover work. There are a variety of inexpensive USB audio interfaces that would dramatically improve your results.

Return to posts index

Joe Moya
on Aug 30, 2008 at 1:53:41 pm

I have a battery in the mic... and, that did nothing to change the situtation... However, I have tried it without the battery - yet.

I use a simple adapter cable... assuming this is what you mean.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=workaround.jsp&A=details&...

Hosa Technology MIT-156 Low to High Impedance Matching Transformer with XLR Female to Stereo 1/8" Miniplug Male Connector

As for a USB mic... any suggestions for the best quality voice over mic?

Joe

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 1, 2008 at 3:40:09 pm

Hello Joe and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

You probably don't need the transformer. The input to your computer. Is it mono or stereo? A more simple cable may work.

Here's a good USB solution: http://centrance.com/products/mp/

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Joe Moya
on Sep 1, 2008 at 4:13:59 pm

It is stereo... your simple converter just might work... thanks for the suggestion.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 1, 2008 at 4:26:52 pm

OK, the you need a cable that takes a mono signal and puts it across both the tip and ring of the plug you plug into the computer. Computer inputs sometimes generate a small voltage to power some mics. This might interfere with your audio.

There are simple cables that also have a dc blocking capacitor to prevent this audio from messing with the mic. Don't know how to tell if you computer is so equipped.

Worst case scenario, the centrance micport uses USB and bypasses the whole audio input problem.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]