FORUMS: list search recent posts

recording directly 2 macbook pro?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Katz
on Aug 28, 2008 at 1:58:54 pm

i have 4 seperate talking head interviews coming up this weekend. it should take approx 60min to conduct each of the 4 interviews.

i'm shooting the interviewee on dvcam with a dsr570 and using a sony ecm88 lav and a senn 416 in a blimp on a boom hung overhead.

i'm now thinking of wanting to record the interviewer's questions. i want the best posssible sound because i am not sure whether i will use the questions in the final edit. i was going to record the interviewer using a 2nd sony ecm88 lav and a 2nd senn 416 hung overhead on a boom.

can anyone walk me thru the procedure of using a macbook pro as the recording device?

if so, my questions are:

how can i get two tracks of audio (the lav and the boom) into the mbp?

both mics take aa batteries for power, right?

the mics have xlr outputs but the mbp only has 1/8" input. will that xlr->1/8" adaptor produce a fair amount of noise?

again, how can i get two xlr mics into one 1/8" input on the macbook pro?

record directly into final cut pro or into garage band?

will final cut pro assign timecode allowing me to easily sync with the dvcam footage?

having not done the above, i'm leary of trying new workflows during a production. how clean/noisy are the macbook pro pre amps? broadcast quality?

of course, i could always use a 2nd camera to record the above but that will also double my time digitizing footage. any other "easy-tried-and true" suggestions?

thanks in advance for any and all thoughts u care to share.

be well

rob

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: recording directly 2 macbook pro?
on Aug 29, 2008 at 2:03:11 pm

Hello Rob and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

Boom recorder software and the hardware I/O of your choice will allow you to do this.
http://www.vosgames.nl/products/BoomRecorder/

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Greg Curda
on Oct 3, 2008 at 11:34:47 am

That software looks good. I have recorded to mac in a pinch using Soundtrack Pro with a nice mic and a MixPre, sending line (-10) out from the tape out to the mac. I haven't figured out how to do more than one channel however in Soundtrack... It works and fidelity is good. The front end is important, I think. There's no code, but I just make a clap or some sync point and do it manually...ARGH!

If you guys have tips on a more useful stock app in mac (Garage Band, etc.) that yields decent results, I'd love to know about it.

G

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Oct 30, 2008 at 10:31:44 pm

[Ty Ford] "Boom recorder software and the hardware I/O of your choice"

Hi Ty,

Does the trial version of Boom Recorder have any crippling features? I'd like to try it on a real job, but don't want to mess up the job.

If one doesn't want the time code recorded, is the "lite" version of Boom capable of handling two real audio channels?

For mics that end in mic-level signals, with xlr connections, what do you recommend for "hardware i/o?" As you know, I don't even have a field mixer, but could take along a small Mackie mixer. Belt-and-suspenders, I'd love to record to both my little Zoom digital recorder as well as my MBP.

Or heck, why don't I see if you're available for the job?????

Bob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]