FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Scratches

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mario Biennarc Sioco
Audio Scratches
on Aug 26, 2008 at 12:44:08 pm

Hi! I have a problem with the acquisition of my audio wherein the lapel mic is scratching on the interviewees clothing. I have no other choice but to fix it in post. I have pro tools and I just downloaded the trial version of soundsoap pro but I just can't figure out how to remove the noise. Im a video editor by profession and audio is just not my specialty. I'm not even sure if soundsoap is the cure. Can anybody suggest what I should do? Please. Thank you guys.

Return to posts index

Stephen Muir
Re: Audio Scratches
on Aug 26, 2008 at 10:14:33 pm

The "scratches" SoundSoap is looking for are more like the kind you would find on an old record or optical recording. The noise of a lav scraping clothing is another beast altogether.

In a perfect world, I would say dump the lav and use the boom mic. However, I assume that the scratchy lav is the only mic on that particular subject.

If you have enough outtakes and the noise is infrequent and short, you may be able to piece together clean takes by replacing the noisey lines or phoenems. Otherwise, you could be looking at a great deal of ADR.

Return to posts index

Rodney Morris
on Aug 27, 2008 at 1:17:58 am

Crank up the music track! LOL

Seriously, there's little that you can do beyond what Stephen suggested.

ProTools has a noise reduction plug-in. To get that to work you would need to capture a good 1/2 second sample of just the noise that you want to reduce. That's gonna be difficult unless you can find a section where the talent is moving but not talking. If you do get a good sample, use the reduction very judiciously. Too much and the results will be some serious degradation of the audio. However, with my experience in ProTools, I really don't think the reduction plug-in will help as much as you would like. It works best with constant hums and buzzes, but it's worth a try.

Good luck.

Rodney

Freelance Sound Technician/Mixer

Return to posts index

Mario Biennarc Sioco
on Aug 27, 2008 at 5:42:27 am

I did crank up the music track, but I couldn't hide all of it.:D
What's the noise reduction plug-in called? I have ProTools7LE.
I want to try sampling the noise first, but if it doesn't work then I guess I just have to find other takes with cleaner sound.
Again, thank you!

Mario Biennarc Sioco

Return to posts index

Rodney Morris
on Aug 27, 2008 at 12:53:35 pm

It's called DINR - you should have the LE version of it. I've not used the LE version so I'm not sure how it differs from the regular version. It may only be available as an AudioSuite plug.

Rodney

Freelance Sound Technician/Mixer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]