FORUMS: list search recent posts

Extra Power Needed?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wes Browning
Extra Power Needed?
on Aug 22, 2008 at 2:07:32 pm

I'm running two different mics wired, that I normally run through wireless packs. What is the best way to set this up in terms of running it to my camera? I have the Sennheiser ME2 and the Countryman B3 and will be running them to my Sony PMW-EX1.

Return to posts index

Rodney Morris
Re: Extra Power Needed?
on Aug 22, 2008 at 4:26:02 pm

Hire a freelance sound mixer to do it for you. :)

I'm assuming you have the power supplies for these mics. If you are going direct to camera (no mixer), simply connect the mics to their respective power supplies and plug them into the XLR inputs of the camera. Make sure "mic" and "48V" phantom power are selected for each audio input on your camera (if your power supplies are battery powered then you don't need to turn on the phantom power at the camera). Check to make sure your levels are good and wear some headphones and listen.

Rodney

Freelance Sound Technician/Mixer

Return to posts index

Wes Browning
on Aug 22, 2008 at 4:30:29 pm

I originally purchased them only with the intent of using them on my wireless packs, thus I have no power supplies. Any recommendations?

Return to posts index

Rodney Morris
on Aug 22, 2008 at 5:16:57 pm

I personally suggest going with power supplies from the respective manufacturers, ie. a Sennheiser power supply for the MKE-2 and a Countryman power supply for the B3. Some folks think that all power supplies are the same, but that's not the case. Give the folks at Trew Audio a call. They can get them out to you pretty quickly. But you'll need to know what kind of wireless system you are using (specifically the connector on your mics). Basically you will receive a power supply with a small lead fitted with a male connector (matching the connector type of your mic/wireless system). Also, ask to see if the power supplies have a battery powered option as well. I find that to be helpful every now and then.

Hope this helps.

Rodney

Return to posts index

Wes Browning
on Aug 22, 2008 at 5:23:00 pm

Great- thanks for your help!

One last question...how does the power supply differ from the camera-supplied phantom power (+48v)?

Return to posts index

Rodney Morris
on Aug 22, 2008 at 6:32:19 pm

I'm not 100% sure that this is the correct answer. Part of the deal is that many lavs don't require a full 48V to operate, and in fact only need about 12V. So it could be that the power supply has a transformer in it to make the incoming 48V the correct voltage. Other power supplies have battery compartments and use the battery to power the mic. I would be interested to hear from the experts on this one. Hello, Ty are you out there?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 23, 2008 at 3:12:56 am

Hello Wes and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Good answer, Rodney.

There are also two wire and three wire mics so what connects to what is important. With the B3 you can get "The Link." That's the reciprocal end of the plug you now have on the B3 that ends in the XLR power supply on the other end. That way you can use the mic either way.

You should be able to get that for the Sennheiser as well.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Wes Browning
on Aug 24, 2008 at 6:00:04 pm

Hi Ty,

Thanks for your response. I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say "The Link." Is this a universal adapter available somewhere?

Thanks!

Wes

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 24, 2008 at 6:35:04 pm

No, Wes,

You are over thinking, "The Link" is simply the reciprocal end of the plug you now have on the B3 that ends in the XLR power supply on the other end. That way you can use the mic either way.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Wes Browning
on Aug 24, 2008 at 8:42:37 pm

Great. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Stuart Nimmo
on Aug 27, 2008 at 12:15:01 pm

Hi Wes, what you need is phantom power from the camera or, as the others say, an in line power supply. What you need for the ME2 is the MZA 900 P, Try http://www.dv247.com/invt/9078/

The Countryman B3 requires phantom power of between 9 to 48 volts; this is in line with most mics and is what phantom power is there for. B&H will be able to supply you with the right in line supplier I think. Some come as part of a male XLR 3-pin plug (like the Sony EM 77.

http://www.GluedTo.Tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]