FORUMS: list search recent posts

lav mic noise problem

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke Pearson
lav mic noise problem
on Aug 22, 2008 at 1:47:35 am

Hey guys. I did a shoot today with two lav mics on two different speakers going into the same camera. 1 on ch. 1 and 1 on ch. 2.

For some reason one of the mics was fuzzy and make poping noises during the filming like it wasn't getting a good signal. I was no more than 15 feet from the subject. I usually don't have problems with this mic. I checked it tonight in my hotel room and everything sounds great. I even took it down the hall further than it went today and it sounded clear and made no noise. What do you think is going on? I have more of the same shoot tomorrow. Should I try a different frequency this time?

thanks for any help.

Luke Pearson
http://www.LiftFilms.net

Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels.
-Hebrews 13:2

Return to posts index

Rodney Morris
Re: lav mic noise problem
on Aug 22, 2008 at 3:17:12 am

Definitely check your frequency at the location. You could be getting interference from something locally. I'm not sure what system you are using, but if it's Lectro then turn off the pilot tone (basically a squelch) feature at the receiver. Make sure your transmitter is turned off. See if you are getting any interference. Also, make sure that the frequencies of the two transmitters are at least .500MHz apart.

Another suggestion is to check for intermodulation issues. Turn on both receivers. Then turn on transmitter #1. Look at receiver #2 - it should not see a signal. If you do see a blip on receiver #2, then you have intermodulation issues. Repeat with transmitter #2 and receiver #1. If you have an intermodulation problem, simply change the frequency on one of the systems and recheck. Most manufacturers will provide a list of frequencies that are free from intermodulation.

I hope something in all that rambling helps.

Rodney

Freelance Sound Technician/Mixer

Return to posts index

Stuart Nimmo
Re: lav mic noise problem
on Aug 27, 2008 at 12:25:41 pm

Umm, not static from the subject's clothing, a Pacemaker? (that happens), a rubbing lav cable? Low battery? Don't forget to change radio mic batteries AT LEAST every 4 hours. If the mic was off for a while after the shoot the battery could have "recovered" enough to make it sound OK in the later test.

If that fails, do you have a hard wire option to the mike? If not then carefully change the TX/ RX frequency and see what happens.

http://www.GluedTo.Tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]