FORUMS: list search recent posts

audio for video

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Garcia
audio for video
on Aug 11, 2008 at 2:31:22 am

Hi all

I'm at that transition where I'd like to improve field audio for video and I'm trying to decide on a good field recorder/mixer.

I'm using the DVX100 please give your your honest opinion regarding the ' MR8MKII ' by Fostex.

The plan here is to bring along a laptop and capture the audio to either Audition or similar software. And at the moment I am using an AKG shotgun and Crown 100 lavs till I get my wireless AT mics which may have to wait a bit at 1200.00 dollars for matched pair.

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts.

cheers
joe
Gen 1:1

JOE
X-Porter

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: audio for video
on Aug 11, 2008 at 11:26:50 am

Hello Joe and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

The MR8MKII, while attractive in price, only records at 44.1 kHz and only two tracks at a time.
It's primarily a musician's scratch-pad.

"The plan here is to bring along a laptop and capture the audio to either Audition or similar software."
The, why bother with the Fostex MR8MKII? Get a Mac, an I/O box and BoomRecorder software.

"And at the moment I am using an AKG shotgun and Crown 100 lavs till I get my wireless AT mics which may have to wait a bit at 1200.00 dollars for matched pair."
Are you referring to the Audio Technica 1800 wireless? Is someone telling you that they come in matched pair sets?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Joe Garcia
on Aug 11, 2008 at 12:12:50 pm

Mr. Ford it is an honor, thanks for you response.

Thanks for steering me away from the fostex I am a lil new to sound and overlooked the low recording rate.

As to the matched pair' I;m referring to ATW 1821D.

I quote you here " Get a Mac, an I/O box and BoomRecorder software. "
please excuse my lack of understanding but I'd like an example for the software and the also
'i/o box' ... I don't think I know what one is but am curious to know if a field mixer would fall into the category of an i/o box.
And, would a windows laptop not suffice for now, buying a MAC would set me back a bit leaving me with hardware that I could not give away much less sell.

cheers

JOE
X-Porter

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 11, 2008 at 1:39:24 pm

"Mr. Ford it is an honor, thanks for you response.

>>The honor to have you visit our humble corner belongs to Creative Cow, for whom I serve when I can.

Thanks for steering me away from the fostex I am a lil new to sound and overlooked the low recording rate.

As to the matched pair' I;m referring to ATW 1821D.

>>To my knowledge, there is no such thing as a "matched set" of ATW 1821D. While there may or may not be slight differences, they are not sold as matched sets. If you are being told otherwise by someone selling you these mics, they are....misinformed.

I may be putting too much import on your choice of the word "matched" With microphones, a "matched set" implies that greater care than normal has been taken to make sure two (or more) mics sound as close to exactly the same as possible. For this matching, there is usually a price premium.

I quote you here " Get a Mac, an I/O box and BoomRecorder software. "
please excuse my lack of understanding but I'd like an example for the software and the also
'i/o box' ... I don't think I know what one is but am curious to know if a field mixer would fall into the category of an i/o box.
And, would a windows laptop not suffice for now, buying a MAC would set me back a bit leaving me with hardware that I could not give away much less sell. "

>>BoomRecorder only runs on Macs. No, a field mixer is not an I/O box in the context I'm referring to. To research this more, go to: http://www.vosgames.nl/products/BoomRecorder/

My favorite choice for a dedicated field recorder would be a Sound Devices 702T, provided time code from your camera can be implemented. I'm thinking probably not, but maybe your next camera will, so opting for the 702T rather than the 702 would be a good decision.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Joe Garcia
on Aug 11, 2008 at 3:33:38 pm

Thanks Ty

will have to buy your field guide and read up, the guide appears to be just what I need...

Although I must say the 702t is well over my head right now. I have no clients nor projects to justify the expense.
Despite the difference in quality, have you any recomendations in the 500 range ??

Also, I assume from your comments that I do need to be carefully of khz ??
I'm thinking that what you meant prior was that my cam's audio is at 48 khz therefore a unit that records at 41 khz would not be a good match for me,,, am I right ???

cheers

JOE
X-Porter

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 11, 2008 at 3:56:14 pm

Hello Joe,

Sorry, I don't.

Yes the 48 KHz issue is what I was talking about.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Rodney Morris
on Aug 12, 2008 at 1:55:21 pm

Joe, Creative Cow is a great resource. We're always glad to help you when we can.

In all honesty, you're not going to get much (if any) of an upgrade on the audio of the DVX100 by looking at standalone recorders in the $500 price range. You're just creating more work yourself. I have the Zoom H4 ($300) that I like to use to record transcription and as an extreme backup to my portable ProTools system. It will record at higher sampling rates (96KHz, IIRC), but it has no time code functions. Let's say you record a 60 minute interview using the DVX100 and the H4, by the end of the interview you're likely to have some drift (sync) issues between audio and video.

You'd be better off spending money on a good field mixer (Sound Devices 302 for example) and upgraded mics (boom and wireless) and having a dedicated person to operate the mixer.

Rodney Morris

Freelance Sound Technician/Mixer

Return to posts index

Joe Garcia
on Aug 17, 2008 at 8:37:11 pm

Rodney..

Sorry for the late post, I never did say thanks for kind words and advice.
You'll be glad to hear that I learned from you post as well as Ty's numerous notes.

thnx again
joe

JOE
X-Porter

Gen 1:1

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]