FORUMS: list search recent posts

Make ADR sound like its outside?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Page
Make ADR sound like its outside?
on Jul 26, 2008 at 4:35:57 pm

Hi,

I've come onto a project to tidy some bits and pieces, and one of the things is the audio.

The company has recorded ADR for several outdoor street and park scenes and I need to make the audio sound like it's outdoors.

I'm no expert with sound, so although I've fiddled with reverb and EQs, I'm abit lost to how to make it sound natural.

Can someone help me please?

(Just to let you know, there's no opportunity to re-record it)

Return to posts index

Will Salley
Re: Make ADR sound like its outside?
on Jul 27, 2008 at 1:48:03 pm

Exterior dialog has no natural reverb so you don't need to add any. In certain locations, such as in alleyways and thick forests, there will be a very, very small amount of echo (delay), otherwise, no effects should be needed if the ADR is clean. A little high-pass shelving may help.

Nat sound should have been recorded on the location to help with this; If not, it's easy enough to get. Depending on the scene to be covered, find a suitable similar location and record the ambience for the length of the final scene. Mix that under your dialog and you should be good.

Primary System Info
Mac Pro 2x3.2 Quadcore - 10.5.4 - QT 7.5 - 6MBram - nvidia8800GT - SATA internal & external storage - Blackmagic Multibridge Pro (v6.7)- Open GL 1.5.6 - Wacom Intous2 tablet

Return to posts index

Jim Page
on Jul 27, 2008 at 3:03:37 pm

Hi, Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, the ADR isn't great. as far as i can tell, it was recorded in a small office, in front of the edit suite, so although i've mixed ambience beneath it, it just doesn't sound natural.

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

TL Westgate
on Aug 21, 2008 at 2:05:45 pm

Go record the ADR outside?

-- TL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]