FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to match studio voice to environment for dubbing

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Angus Ashton
How to match studio voice to environment for dubbing
on Jul 20, 2008 at 2:07:23 am

Hi guys i just want some help regarding matching a studio recorded voice into an outdoor scene for a short film im making. I have played around a little in premier with the EQ but cant seem to make it sound like its outdoors, it still sounds obviously recorded straight into a mic in the studio. Can someone please give me some help as to how to get the voice to sound like its really outdoors?

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: How to match studio voice to environment for dubbing
on Jul 20, 2008 at 3:56:20 am

What type of mic are you using? If you want to make it sound like it's outside, then (generally speaking) you want to use a mic that would be used for outside recording. In other words, when Hollywood does ADR, the post-sound studios will use the same mic that was used "on location" to capture the dialog, not a voiceover studio condenser mic like the kind used for announcing. But, maybe I'm not understanding the situation correctly.

It sounds like you already have the voice recorded so, hopefully someone with more post-sound experience (than me) will post here.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jul 20, 2008 at 2:41:41 pm

Hello Angus and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

You have run into the wall of Physics.

Try this. Open the door, step outside. Place talent and mic, hit record.

Even outside spaces have their own "room tone" (ambience tone?), so you may have a problem there, but at least you won't have room reflection problems.

The louder the voice, the more problem you'll have because the louder the voice the more it excites the space around it. Like blowing into a pop bottle to make it sound a tone, any space has one or more resonant frequencies. Put enough energy into a space and you will find those resonant frequencies.

Outside, the sound is not contained and just disperses.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jul 20, 2008 at 11:23:03 pm

I've had success matching by both using the same mic as was used outside, but also pointing it at talent the same way as outside. Usually, the mic is on a boom shooting down from above. If your recording space is adding a "sound," trying outside as Ty suggests might help, but watch out for environmental sounds that might not match. It's also very important that talent performs the same way as during the original shoot, so it's important to be able to playback that performance. I've done a number of ADR sessions for features and network TV shows when their actors were in my area and didn't have time to get into NYC. Interestingly, they all have specified a U87 as the studio mic.

John

Dual 2.5 G5 4 gigs RAM OS 10.4.8 QT7.1.3
Dual Cinema 23 Radeon 9800
FCP Studio 5 (FCP5.1.4, DVDSP4.1.1, Comp2.3, STP1.1, Motion 2.1.2)
Huge U-320R 1TB Raid 3 firmware ENG15.BIN
ATTO UL4D driver 3.50
AJA IO driver 2.1 firmware v23-28
Pro Tools HD w 192 Digital, SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neuman U87s, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]