FORUMS: list search recent posts

G5 built in soundcard analog to digital conversion noise ?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kjetil Bovim
G5 built in soundcard analog to digital conversion noise ?
on Jul 14, 2008 at 7:16:49 am

I have tried to find some info on it in terms of use.
not much luck . . .
The only thing I see is some talk of noise problems because of the internal fans . . .

My question is: Is the noise caused by the analog to digital conversion process ?

Will this still be a problem using a TOSLink input ? (optical port)

My plan was to use my Korg D16 harddiscrecorder for the analog to digital conversion, and then us the optical input to get maximum quality 24 bit sound into the mac.

Would most of you pro sound people out there say this is a decent solution for ok quality audio ?
Will have to get a proper soundcard later, but for now im hoping this will do ?!!

Any thoughts ?

[tecnical info on the Built In Sound Card:]

Devices:
Texas Instruments TAS3004:
Inputs and Outputs:
Line Level Input:
Controls: Left, Right
Playthrough: No
PluginID: TAS
Headphones:
Controls: Mute, Left, Right
Internal Speakers:
Controls: Mute, Master
Line Level Output:
Controls: Mute, Left, Right
Crystal Semiconductor CS84xx:
Inputs and Outputs:
S/PDIF Digital Input:
Controls: Mute
Playthrough: No
PluginID: Topaz
S/PDIF Digital Output:
Controls: Mute
PluginID: Topaz
Formats:
PCM 16:
Bit Depth: 16
Bit Width: 16
Channels: 2
Mixable: Yes
Sample Rates: 32 KHz, 44.1 KHz, 48 KHz
PCM 24:
Bit Depth: 24
Bit Width: 32
Mixable: Yes
AC3 16:
Bit Depth: 16
Bit Width: 16
Mixable: No

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: G5 built in soundcard analog to digital conversion noise ?
on Jul 15, 2008 at 1:11:21 am

Hello Kjetil and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

I have a G5, but there are a number of different versions.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do, bring stereo digital audio into your G5 Mac through the optical SPDIF port for what purpose? Not all applications will be able to use that port for input. The ones you use may.

What noise? Internal fans cause mechanical noise. That shouldn't be any problem with an optical input. There were some noise issues on the firewire ground bus due to a poorly designed power supply in some G5 Macs. I had one and Apple replaced it.

As to which converter is better, it's hard to say. I use the optical input for the output of my CD recorder. That lets me play the CDs though the G5 and out the G5 unbalanced analog ports.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Kjetil Bovim
Re: G5 built in soundcard analog to digital conversion noise ?
on Jul 15, 2008 at 12:27:51 pm

Thanks a lot for your replay. I will try to explain a bit better . . .
after some searching around, the only info on the standard G5 soundcard was some talk aboute noise problems in the A/D converter . . .
And as far as I know the standard mini jack plug will support only analog audio.
My conclusion here was that this soundcard is best for handling digital audio.

What I want to do is get the best possible audio into my G5 without having to buy extra equipment right now . . .
All I need is to get the signal to noise ratio (is this the right name for headroom ?)
as high as possible.
I will mostly be working with recording from vinyl, preparing samples for use in various programs . . .

As from what iv understood 24bit recording will give a much better signal for working on than a 16bit recording.

And since i dont know the details on using the optical input, i hoped to understand some details . . .

so how does the built in soundcard (Devices: Texas Instruments TAS3004) compare with an cheap external one ? (max $400?)
mainly in terms of sound-quality . . .

Is my whole idea of using the A/D converters in my Korg D16 and then transporting this digital signal via SPDIF port totally pointless ?
I expect the A/D converters inside a Korg to be a bit more acurat than the built in souncard in my mac.
Am I right ?
And how big difference will it make from using the mini-jack port for importing 24bit analog audio ?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]