FORUMS: list search recent posts

Correct way to mount lapel mic?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Stone
Correct way to mount lapel mic?
on Jun 23, 2008 at 11:26:43 pm

Hey guys!

I'm in the middle of some talking head interviews in which we're using lapel microphones. No matter how I clip them to the men's suits, I get clothes rub. The actual mic isn't touching anything, so I'm guessing it's from the chord rubbing on the clothes when the interviewee moves.

Here's how I'm mounting it... please let me know what I'm doing wrong:

1. I clip the lav mic (mic portion out) to the tie, looping the chord back through the clip and hanging down behind the tie to the body pack.

2. Same way, only I clip to the jacket lapel, letting the chord hang down behind the jacket.

Thanks very much for any help.

Dan

Return to posts index

Matte Blume
Re: Correct way to mount lapel mic?
on Jun 24, 2008 at 11:40:39 am

Which mic?

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Jun 24, 2008 at 9:25:30 pm

Hi Daniel-

The problem is probably not with the mic or mount, but with the clothing itself; if it's a silk, satin, or nylon type material, it will cause noise that you might not otherwise hear with your ear but, the mic picks it up (like a tie or even a suit jacket). If the shirt has any starch in it, that can cause noise, too.

I had a nightmare shoot one time where a woman had on a period dress made out of satin; no matter what I tried, including making a baseball size wad of tape and putting the mike inside it, all a heard, was clothing noise.

If you think it's the cord, try taping it (the cord) on the inside of the jacket using 2 inches of 1" camera tape (near the clip).

Return to posts index

Daniel Stone
on Jul 1, 2008 at 2:14:00 am

Thanks so much for the advice! It worked!

I simply used a couple small pieces of gaffer's tape - rolled up - to tape the mic cable to the rear of the tie and VOILLA... no more clothes rub! Rolling the tape up made it double-sided, which held the cable to the tie and held the tie to the shirt.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]