FORUMS: list search recent posts

micing for panel group

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carla Cameron
micing for panel group
on Jun 19, 2008 at 3:25:27 pm

Hello,

This is similar to a question asked previously about micing for focus group. I am using 2 panasonics dxv100b. There are a total of 11 people, 8 are the focus group and the rest mediators. Is it best to use a boom in this case? We don't have a separate mixer.We have 2 shotguns, 4 lavs, one cardioid capacitor. They have two tables that will be put together to make one big square. Could I use the boom and also put mics on the table? I know where to put the cameras but I have no idea what I should be doing with the mics or which ones to use. There will be two of us doing the shooting. I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks ahead of time.

Carla

Return to posts index

Peter Perry
Re: micing for panel group
on Jun 19, 2008 at 5:45:59 pm

Hi Carla,
You should hire an audio person to do this for you. I sat here for 15 minutes trying to come up with a solution using your gear, and I can't come up with anything that would be acceptable to me.
The fact that you don't even have a mixer is a problem. That means you are limited to using 4 mics.
If you don't want to hire an audio person, what you could do is to have two boom mics WITH BOOM OPERATORS, each covering half of the table. That could be the most cost effective way of covering this. Ty is going to disagree with using shotguns indoors, but you have what you have. :-)
Peter

Return to posts index

Ray Palmer
Re: micing for panel group
on Jun 20, 2008 at 6:04:17 pm

I agree with Peter. You need more help.
When we do this we use an automated mic mixer. It will gate the audio on the mics that are not being addressed. You only hear the audio from someone speaking. We have used this system with up to 24 mics in a discussion group.

I understand that you don't have this in your budget but keep it in mind for the future if the audio you get from the gear that you have now doesn't give you the results you hoped for.

Ray Palmer, Engineer
Salt River Project
Phoenix, AZ
602-236-8224 office
There are three types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]