FORUMS: list search recent posts

phantom power mics, ethics and price

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Holz
phantom power mics, ethics and price
on Jun 18, 2008 at 8:56:54 pm

I'm trying to put in a VERY simple studio in my house for doing voice over work. Looking into buying a compressor mic. How do you get phantom power to it, does the mic pre amp do this or do I need something else? If anyone knows of a good referance for ethics and pricing for a vioce over amature, hit me up.
Thanks,

Ryan

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
Ty Ford
Re: phantom power mics, ethics and price
on Jun 18, 2008 at 10:21:36 pm

Hello Ryan and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

It's easy to get swamped in nomenclature. I think you mean condenser mic, not compressor mic.

Condenser mics do require Phantom Power and it is usually supplied by the preamp you plug the mic into.

For a starter, I think you'd do well with a Shure SM7b for voiceover work. It's a dynamic mic (not a condenser) that does not require Phantom Power.

There are lots of books that will tell you about recording VO. I don't know any titles right off hand.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Ryan Holz
on Jun 19, 2008 at 4:33:04 am

Sorry about the nomenclature fopoo. I spent the last few hours on the computer reading up on studio equipment. Why do you say that I should get a Dynamic mic? I thought that the Idea was to get the purist signal with little or no "noise" and a condenser mic with the dual signal was a simple way of canceling some of that out. Is there something about a Dynamic mic that would fit me better? I guess what I am asking is, will I get a more professional and editor friendly sound with a condenser or dynamic mic?

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
Ty Ford
on Jun 19, 2008 at 11:24:24 am

[Ryan Holz] "I thought that the Idea was to get the purist signal with little or no "noise" and a condenser mic with the dual signal was a simple way of canceling some of that out. Is there something about a Dynamic mic that would fit me better? I guess what I am asking is, will I get a more professional and editor friendly sound with a condenser or dynamic mic?
"

Sounds like you've been reading a lot of mic brochures. :)

You are a bit lost in the techno babble. They do that to impress you and sell you a mic. "Dual SIgnal", "canceling out noise"? Any good balanced mic does that.

A good dynamic is better than a cheap condenser. The SM7b is a good mic for voice. Dynamics are not as sensitive as condenser mics, but that may be a benefit because they won't pick up a lot of extraneous sounds and room reflections.

The SM7 has been used for years as an on-air mic in radio stations.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Ryan Holz
on Jun 19, 2008 at 6:36:37 pm

Thanks Ty, Thats the info. between the lines you don't ever read about.

Return to posts index

Steve Cinque
on Apr 16, 2009 at 4:51:33 pm

Ty-

Is there any way to convert a standard mic to phantom power?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 16, 2009 at 5:30:09 pm

Hi Steve,

A standard mic: Hmm, you mean one that does not require Phantom?

Usually only condenser mics require any sort of powering. (Some new ribbon mics do, but they are an exception.) There are several different types of powering. Phantom Power is one type. There are two sub-types 12-18 Volt and 48 Volt Phantom Power

A dynamic mic does not require Phantom Power. It won't harm the mic if Phantom Power is on.

Which standard mic are you considering and how do you envision using it?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]