Newbie Post Recording Questions

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Les Kaye
Newbie Post Recording Questions
on Jun 18, 2008 at 3:25:32 pm

Hi everyone - first time poster here:

I am NOT a professional audio person, but here is what I'll be doing:

I plan to record a simple acoustic guitar with a Shure M57 mic and an M-Audio Fast Track USB device, going directly into Soundtrack Pro on a MacBook Pro. There will be no voice. Preliminary tests have been successful.

My question is, Then what? Meaning, can someone recommend the specific kinds of filters I would use to enhance the guitar sound? I realize I'll need a compressor filter to start - but anything else? Since I'll be using Soundtrack Pro, that would be preferable, but I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
-Les Kaye

http://www.leskaye.net

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Newbie Post Recording Questions
on Jun 18, 2008 at 10:28:17 pm

Hello Les and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Soundtrack pro has a lot of effects; EQ, reverb, delay, compression, limiting.

Enhance is an interesting word. Depending on the sound of your guitar, the first step in enhancing your sound might be to use a better mic. One of my favorites that's not too expensive is the Audix SCX-1 HC, with hypercardioid capsule.

What preamp are you using?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Les Kaye
on Jun 19, 2008 at 3:09:14 am

Thanks Ty - no pre-amp. Just the mic into the Fast Track USB into the MBP.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 19, 2008 at 11:11:16 am

Les,

The whole thing about recording instruments is part art and part science. Toys make a difference; in this case, the mic and the preamp. You've found you can do the job with an SM57 and M-Audio USB device (which has its own preamp).

A lot depends on how good you want this to sound. In no particular order, you have to consider the following:
1. The guitar. Some sound great. Some don't.
2. The player. Some can make any guitar sound great. Some make every guitar sound like crap.
3. The acoustical space in which you record. Every space adds its own color.
4. The mic.
5. The position of the mic.
6. The choice of preamp. Mics and preamps can mix well or not. I could go on for pages about this.
7. The choice of monitors. What you hear on cheap speakers may not translate well to other speakers. Things might sound OK on them, but crappy on 90% of the other systems you playback on.

I'm a guitar player and recording engineer. The mic I'd normally put on an acoustic guitar costs about $1800. The preamp I'd use costs about $1K. More $ for better A/D conversion, blah, blah, blah. Your level of persnicketiness for this project may be below mine. That's OK too. I'm just trying to set the stage for you. :)

On this YouTube clip,

I used a Schoeps CMC641 mic on the guitar. A Countryman E6 on his ear. Both through a Sound Devices 442 mixer to a Canon XL2 camera. I posted in FCP, didn't even go to SoundTrack Pro.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Les Kaye
on Jun 19, 2008 at 7:21:17 pm

Thank you Ty. Unfortunately or not, this is the equipment I have - there won't be anything else. Thanks for your initial suggestions. I'll try the filters you suggest.

-LK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]