FORUMS: list search recent posts

levels

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke Pearson
levels
on Jun 13, 2008 at 4:20:54 pm

Hey, guys. I'm still learning a lot of the audio process of video and had a question for you about a problem I run into sometimes.

-When i'm running xlr out of a soundboard into my camera the audio sometimes sounds distorted even though it doesn't peak on my camera monitors. Why is that and what can I do to keep it from happening?

-Sometimes i keep my levels very close to the peak mark on my camera but the audio levels in fCP are showing them to be kind of low. what causes that?

-I have a field mixer. What steps do I take to have good audio levels when running out of a sound board? Thanks for any help.

Luke Pearson
http://www.LiftFilms.net

Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels.
-Hebrews 13:2

Return to posts index

Matte Blume
Re: levels
on Jun 13, 2008 at 9:12:11 pm

Are you feeding a LINE-level (board) into MIC-level (camera) inputs?

Do one of the following:

1. Send MIC-level from the board, if the cam is set for MIC-level or

2. Set the camera's input to LINE-level, if the cam is set for LINE-level or

3. Add a level-reducing PAD in-line with the cable coming from the board, to drop the level by a proper amount or

4. Feed the board into a small mixer that YOU can control during the shoot to trim the levels, if need be or

5. Some combination of the above.

And always (ALWAYS) wear good headsets DURING the shoot to continually monitor the quality of the audio at all times.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]