FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ty, your opinion on the Shure FP410 for video depositions

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randy Wheeler
Ty, your opinion on the Shure FP410 for video depositions
on Jun 6, 2008 at 5:57:36 am

Ty,

I know you have experience with the Shure FP410 audio mixer and was wondering what your opinion is on using it for video depositions?

I have been using it for the last couple video depositions I've shot and have been very impressed with it features over other mixers I have used for this type of shoot. I have two of them so I can link them for up to 8 channels of input if needed.

I started with the Mackie 1202VLZ, then the Shure M367 and now the Shure FP410.

The typical video deposition setup I've been shooting lately is in small rooms with a couple lawyers, witness and court reporter all with lavalier mics. I have found the "automatic" feature on the FP410 is great at switching between mics so that I only have to worry about overall gain levels on each mic instead of constantly having to manually turn down the mics on people who are not speaking and being late in turning it up or down.

Also since the lawyers and witness mics were so close to each other that phase cancellation is an issue until you turn down all but one mic.

When I tell some experienced video deposition pros about this mixer and its features they seem to think that a "pro" don't use "automatic" mixers and they are proud that they "manually" adjust the mics during their shoots. Some don't even use a mixer with a limiter by saying they use their camera's limiter. How would you convince them otherwise on this?

I also really like the limiter on the FP410 and has helped to equal out the levels of each person speaking. Using the +8dB settings seems to work best for sending a clean "loud enough" signal to my camera. Nice to never have to worry about an overloaded sginal when using multiple lav mics at a deposition.

My waveforms look much better now also when compared to using the other mixers i have, especially the Mackie without the limiter even when using my camera's limter.

Thanks,

Randy

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Ty, your opinion on the Shure FP410 for video depositions
on Jun 7, 2008 at 1:59:19 am

[Randy Wheeler] "When I tell some experienced video deposition pros about this mixer and its features they seem to think that a "pro" don't use "automatic" mixers and they are proud that they "manually" adjust the mics during their shoots. Some don't even use a mixer with a limiter by saying they use their camera's limiter. How would you convince them otherwise on this?

>>>I wouldn't try. An auto mixer with a good limiter is the right choice for this job. Do they OWN an auto mixer? Probably not and probably because they don't want to spend the money. Camera limiters? There is no crying in baseball and no limiters in cameras (worthwhile ones anyway).

I also really like the limiter on the FP410 and has helped to equal out the levels of each person speaking. Using the +8dB settings seems to work best for sending a clean "loud enough" signal to my camera. Nice to never have to worry about an overloaded sginal when using multiple lav mics at a deposition.

My waveforms look much better now also when compared to using the other mixers i have, especially the Mackie without the limiter even when using my camera's limter.

Thanks,

Randy"

>>>You're doin' fine. Don't sweat their comments. Oh, full disclosure, I also own a Shure FP410. :)

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]