FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dead but Decorative

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
KC Allen
Dead but Decorative
on Jun 4, 2008 at 10:08:10 pm

I have a video production company, and we're moving into an industrial location that used to be a factory but is now a "mall" of tech companies. The walls are cinder block and paneling and the ceiling is paper covered tile.

I don't need to be studio-quiet, really, but I would like to make the ugly walls look nicer while knocking down the reverberation and helping to insulate from outside noise, at least a little. I'm going to be building a room inside a room for voiceovers and so on, so I really don't need to go nuts, but it does need something done. Walls are about 8' high. Only covering a room about 20' x 12'. Can someone help me with an inexpensive way to do something that covers the cinder block while quieting the room?

Before you ask - yes - I searched the Cow first. Found some good stuff, but don't have the budget that some of the suggestions would require. I'd love to find some kind of inexpensive 7' x 4' wall panels that I can glue to the cinder block and be done with it. This is likely to be a somewhat temporary location.

KC Allen
Allen Film & Video

"Who's the more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows?"

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Dead but Decorative
on Jun 4, 2008 at 10:22:30 pm

Hello KC and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

Keeping the outside sounds out is expensive. That's why you have to build a room within a room. And you have to do it very well or it won't work.

Calming the space within can be done with carpet on the floor, sound blankets on the walls and some acoustic foam on some of the ceiling tiles.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Jun 5, 2008 at 3:48:06 am

Carpet on the walls and floor is always a good start. But leave one wall hard as often a "Dead room " sound quite odd.
2 tone walls look good with a timber batten hiding the join.
Thick curtains that can be drawn closed also work well on windows.
For the "Sound proof" room try a timber frame with 12-18mm thick timber, plywood or similar on either side of the frame with insulation batts between them.
Also keep this room NON square (no parallel walls) and put some carpet or acoustic tiles behind the talent this stops a lot of reflections getting back into th V/O mic.

Good luck

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Jun 5, 2008 at 2:16:07 pm

Hi KC:

More than you will ever want to know about constructing acoustically inert environments http://www.acoustics101.com/

There are a lot of tricks to the. Forget egg crates, they are terribly in efficient.

Best,

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]