FORUMS: list search recent posts

Basic Audio Questions

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Krickow
Basic Audio Questions
on May 27, 2008 at 2:45:39 am

Would anyone mind letting me know the typical route that is taken for recording audio and delivering it to the editor? What I understand is that most often the audio is recorded to a tape format (ie. DA88, DAT, Nagra) then digitized for input into the NLE. In what format is the audio delivered and how is the conversion made? Second, is ripping a wav/aiff from a CD the best way to get a song/effect for use in a sound editing program? If anyone could recommend some books and/or websites that would assist me in understanding the sound world it would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Basic Audio Questions
on May 27, 2008 at 11:14:35 am

Ryan Krickow]said>>"Would anyone mind letting me know the typical route that is taken for recording audio and delivering it to the editor? What I understand is that most often the audio is recorded to a tape format (ie. DA88, DAT, Nagra) then digitized for input into the NLE.

>>>>>Hello Ryan and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum. Tape has been replaced by time code enabled hard drive recorders with Firewire ports for downloading the recorded files. (I just took DAT references out of my little Field Guide for the new print run.) WAV files are most prominent. The audio can also be burned to CD or DVD as mono, stereo, or poly-wav files.

The Sound Devices 744T also has the ability to record on DVD-RAM at the same time it's recording on its own internal drive. You don't want to be running around while that's happening because DVD-RAM drives are not built to take that sort of abuse.

In what format is the audio delivered and how is the conversion made? Second, is ripping a wav/aiff from a CD the best way to get a song/effect for use in a sound editing program? If anyone could recommend some books and/or websites that would assist me in understanding the sound world it would be much appreciated."

>>>>>You need to coordinate with post as to what they want to see. Sometimes things get lost in translation. Do yourself a favor and do a trial run with the specs they give you to make sure it all works. There have been situations in which post asks for the wrong thing and then it doesn't work.

Ripping or importing from CDs into NLE programs is OK. You may have to do sample rate conversion if the audio is truly CD audio because CD audio has a 44.1 kHz sample rate and most digital video is 48 kHz.

Wolf Seeberg has written extensively on the subject of time code and cameras. I don't remember the names of his books, but here's a link that'll get you started.

http://www.digitalcinemasociety.org/TechTips.php?item=24p+TC+%26+HD

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Ryan Krickow
on May 28, 2008 at 4:55:48 am

Thanks for your reply Ty. Since I'm in charge of coming up with the post plan I'll let you know what I'm thinking in terms of sound. We record all the sound in 24bit/48khz and during the sound edit we'll convert all the sound effects and music to the same bit and sample rate. I'm going to be the sound editor and I'm not sure whether to use Sound Track Pro or Pro Tools- or maybe even FCP since I'm only going to be doing the edit. Then I'll pass it off to the sound mixers and since we're a low budget project my plan was to get an LTRT mix. That brings up my next question, will an LTRT mix playback as stereo if the sound system doesn't support surround? Would that make it redundant to have say an LTRT mix on channels 1&2 and a backup Stereo mix on channels 3&4 of an HDCAM tape? Also, do you have to pay Dolby to create an LTRT mix and what is the price difference between that and 5.1? I apologize for the simplicity of my questions but I'm trying to wrap my head around the broad strokes so I know where to focus my research. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 28, 2008 at 11:14:08 am

[Ryan Krickow] "That brings up my next question, will an LTRT mix playback as stereo if the sound system doesn't support surround?

>>> It should

Would that make it redundant to have say an LTRT mix on channels 1&2 and a backup Stereo mix on channels 3&4 of an HDCAM tape?

>>> I'm not certain.

Also, do you have to pay Dolby to create an LTRT mix and what is the price difference between that and 5.1?

>>>You buy an encoder for that.

I apologize for the simplicity of my questions but I'm trying to wrap my head around the broad strokes so I know where to focus my research. Thanks again!"

>>>You're on the fringe of my experience at the moment. :)

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 28, 2008 at 11:58:23 am

Something like this, Ryan.

http://www.holophone.com/products_n-code.html

I saw it at NAB. I'm not certain it's usable with just any mics, or sources. You'd want to follow up on that.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]