FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mackie ONYX

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Perry
Mackie ONYX
on May 18, 2008 at 7:10:26 pm

Does anybody have any experience with the Mackie Onyx with the firewire option? I am thinking about buying one, but I don't know anyone who has used one in a real world environment.
How does it sound? Is it stable in a PC environment? I would need it to be rock solid (duh) when usd with a PC laptop.
Thanks,
Peter

Return to posts index

Hugh Holesome
Re: Mackie ONYX
on May 29, 2008 at 1:37:22 pm

I've got the Mackie Onyx 1220.
A couple of days ago I tried to post how happy I was with the board.
Today its up for debate.
The drawbacks seem to be 2. Low mic-pre levels and pre-fader routing to the firewire card.
Other than that the ability to run Boom Recorder or a DAW as well as an analog output was my main choice for this board.

*I ask the experts this...*
The shotguns have to be gained all the way to the top and I'm still not happy with the levels. The firewire out gain is also maxed.
I'm recording into Boom Recorder and don't see any way to boost the levels any further.

I know my mics aren't the best but can I really hear where the money went if I shelled out the bucks for one of the groups recommended shotguns?
I've got a Rode NTG-1 and an Azden SGM-1x.
Using the firewire outs, I just want a good clean mic that offers me headroom so my gains aren't on 11.

Return to posts index

Peter Perry
Re: Mackie ONYX
on May 30, 2008 at 2:45:48 am

Hi Hugh,
Hmmmm....very surprising. The pre-amps on these boards are one of the main selling points.
Just curious, do you have the main outputs selected as mic level or line level?
Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]