FORUMS: list search recent posts

lav mike recommendation

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Janice Johnson
lav mike recommendation
on May 15, 2008 at 5:55:55 pm

At work we are going to start to capture lectures using a capture station called the Echo 360. The back of the Echo 360 does not have an XLR input, it only has RCA stero and 1/4: stereo audio inputs, both unbalanced. My boss wants me to figure out what kind of lavalier mike system to buy to plug into this thing in order to capture the audio. He suggested that we use wireless lav mikes to dual mike the lecturer - one mike to record our audio and one mike hooked up to the PA so the audience can hear the talk, both mikes set to the same channel. It seems to me like that could cause all kinds of feedback.

The Countryman B6 mikes looked good to me. But how do I hook it up into the Echo360? And what other equipment do I need?
Thanks in advance, Janice

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: lav mike recommendation
on May 15, 2008 at 6:33:30 pm

[Janice Johnson] "At work we are going to start to capture lectures using a capture station called the Echo 360. The back of the Echo 360 does not have an XLR input, it only has RCA stero and 1/4: stereo audio inputs, both unbalanced. My boss wants me to figure out what kind of lavalier mike system to buy to plug into this thing in order to capture the audio. He suggested that we use wireless lav mikes to dual mike the lecturer - one mike to record our audio and one mike hooked up to the PA so the audience can hear the talk, both mikes set to the same channel. It seems to me like that could cause all kinds of feedback.

The Countryman B6 mikes looked good to me. But how do I hook it up into the Echo360? And what other equipment do I need? "

Hello Janice and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

What school are you working at?

Your boss's idea sounds a bit unusual as you describe it.

You only need one mic on the person talking.

I would put a small mixer in the configuration.

Countryman B6 (if you want, (but i'd prefer an E6) to the mixer. from the mixer to the house PSA system and to the Echo 360 audio input.

I'f also opt for a hard wired mic instead of wireless unless the person speaking likes to move around a lot. Interference these days from Blackberries, cell phones and other sources can quickly compromise your wireless audio.

You are correct, you can not operate two transmitters on the same frequency. You can operate two receivers on the same frequency so they both hear one transmitter, but you don't need that. (I guess you might do that and feed the second receiver to the Echo 360. That'd work, but you may find reception problems.)

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Janice Johnson
on May 16, 2008 at 4:49:36 pm

Thank you for your quick response! The tech people from Echo reccommended that we use a Shure UHF-R UR4D receiver. This will allow us to mike two speakers at once which would be nice. Also, another detail about the project that I failed to ask: How close can the speaker wearing the wireless mike get to the receiver? We would like to keep this equipment near the podium if possible.

Thanks - Janice

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 16, 2008 at 9:35:54 pm

Hello Janice

as close as possible.

The farther apart the transmitter and receiver are, the greater the possibility of a drop out.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Janice Johnson
on May 21, 2008 at 2:08:29 pm

That is what I was thought was true and was hoping, but in the Shure website in the "Best Practices" for use of this product, it says: "Transmitter and Reciever cannot be within 15 feet of each other."

I am thinking that with that to consider, and with all of the possible interferences by audience cell phones and blue teeth, that I should try to convince my boss that a small lavaliere mike with line connection would be the best.

Thank you so much for your responses and help. This is not my area of expertise by any means and I really appreciate it.

Janice

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 22, 2008 at 11:48:49 am

Hello Janice,

That sounds strange. Call Shure and ask them to confirm. Could be a typo. Please post what you find out.

Thanks,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]