FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why a mixer, why not just barrel adapters? -- Sunday Tutorial

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ty Ford
Why a mixer, why not just barrel adapters? -- Sunday Tutorial
on May 11, 2008 at 3:16:13 pm

If you don't have a mixer, you may wonder if all those buttons and switches are really helpful or necessary. In the mic/consumer line/pro line playground, having the right mixer can make a make or break difference in your audio.

I use a Sound Devices 442 mixer. Last time I got a "Line level" feed from a mixer, it wasn't line level at all. It was sort of between mic and line. Rather than try to deal with the guy at the board who was very, very busy, I just took the feed and went with it, adjusting to suit with my mixer. We got what we needed.

Some ask why spend the money on a 442. The list is too numerous to fully post, but within the last week I had two situations.

1. I was on a shoot for Apple Computer. I had to feed stereo to a camera, one track to an external recorder and one track to a Comtek transmitter. No sweat for the 442. Three sets of stereo outputs plus individual solo outputs for each input.

2. I had to feed two CD recorders simultaneously. One was a pro level XLR unit. The other had consumer line level RCA inputs. Consumer line level is -10, not 0 or +4. No problem, the 442 outputs mic, -10 or line level at the flip of a switch. You can even independently vary the L and R outputs of a stereo pair, one mic the other line or -10.

BTW, feeding pro line level to a consumer line level device can sound OK when you are sending tone at -20. HOWEVER....when real levels are attempted, the -10 input will clip if fed by a 0 dB pro line level source. The clip won't show on the meters! But the audio will be clipped. First time it happened, I was listening on headphones. Tone good, but testing voice things sounded slightly clipped. Level on the recorder was no where near 0 dB.

Hmm, is this like the miclevel/line level mismatches? (You know, feeding line level to a mic level input where the camera meters look good but the sound is clipped?) Why yes, this is the junior version of that. Pro line (0 and +4) are much closer to the -10 consumer line level than -40 mic is to 0 dB line, so the -10/0 dB mismatch is less noticeable, but you're still clipping peaks.

Last week I was on a shoot with one of the new handheld HD cameras. XLR inputs but NO guide as to where -20 was on the camera metering and the owner didn't have a clue. (Note to camera mfgrs: WAKE UP!! PUT A REAL-20dB MARK ON YOUR INPUT METERING, NOT A DOT.) We chose one of the beans he thought was -20 on the camera metering and set tone. No problem, UNTIL I tried recording my voice as a test. Clipping occasionally on some peaks. I switched to the -10 outputs on my Sound Devices 442 mixer, recalibrated tone on the same bean by adjusting the camera input controls. This time when I did the talk test, we were fine.

I could probably have chosen a lower bean and gone with pro line level, but in this case we got the sound we wanted and at a good level into the camera.

Good audio is not trivial.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: Why a mixer, why not just barrel adapters? -- Sunday Tutorial
on May 13, 2008 at 5:24:53 am

Hi Ty-

Another great tutorial! Nothing is more perplexing to me than inconsistent metering. It just seems like ether meters are marked as "0db" when it really is -20, or there's a dot, or no markings at all, so it's anyone's guess. (when you were with Apple, did you tell them to put some meter markings on their Soundtrack Pro meters? lol)

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
-- Sunday Tutorial and Soundtrack Pro thoughts
on May 13, 2008 at 1:15:03 pm

Hello David,

In fact, I did broach the topic of Soundtrack Pro with the two Applelites from Reston, VA. (The other five were from Cupertino). All nice folks dedicated to doing a good job.

The Restonities quickly became uncomfortable after I asked a few questions and offered some simple advice. When I suggested that I wasn't looking for a full time job, but that maybe a year's contract would do, one of them said whatever might be needed could be accomplished in a day or two. Guess I should have pursued who I might talk to about it, but the comment didn't sound like an invitation.

Not wanting to be a buzz kill, I backed off. Soundtrack Pro, IMO, was designed by a computer person, not by anyone with a pro audio background. If it had been, there would be normal industry standard conventions in all sort of things that would make it more user friendly.

I changed the subject line of this post for any Apple folks looking for Sountrack Pro post. I'm an Apple user since 1986. Still have a Mac SE that I had converted to an SE 30. That means I have been using Apple computers longer than some Apple employees have been alive. I own 4.5 Macs (the Titanium Power Book is fading), 3.5 of them I make a living with. I run a DIGI 002 and DIGI 003 with Pro Tools LE for almost all of my audio.

I like Soundtrack Pro. I want to like it more. Even the audio in FCP could use a tweek. I have been more successful of late in using compression, limiting, reverb and E within FCP, but it's also sort of clunky in its own way.

Soundtrack Pro (and FCP) could be more audio friendly. I'm just sayin'.........:)

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]