FORUMS: list search recent posts

International wireless standards

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Del Mar
International wireless standards
on May 11, 2008 at 5:20:42 am

Hello,

I may be doing some documentary-style filming in a year or so in Nigeria. Probably just a one-man crew - little or no budget. Much of what I'll be recording will be indoor interviews, so I am intending on getting lapel mics. I would like to get wireless mics though, because they give me more freedom to move, and if I want to move it outdoors, they will allow me to do that.

I need to know if there's any problems taking wireless mics certified for Australia overseas anywhere? Is is illegal? Just frowned upon? risky due to frequency interference? If not, I may invest also in a wireless, handheld mic for presenter-style interviews.

What do you think? I know its as far from ideal as anyone could get without just relying on the on-board mic, but I'm trying to do what i can!

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: International wireless standards
on May 11, 2008 at 1:10:31 pm

Hello WIll and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

I only have anecdotal info; most of it cautionary.

What is a no-problem frequency here in the states may be the frequency used by the police, government, taxi-cabs or something else. Reports of confiscation exist. Reports of putting people under arrest exist.

In Japan, 10mW is the maximum legal power.

There may be people with more positive stories. If there are, hopefully they'll toss in here.

I'd reach out to Sennheiser and lectrosonics to see of they have any info.

Your film crew leader will probably have to deal with the Nigerian government in order to bring film/video gear in for the shoot. Perhaps letting them do the inquiry would be a good idea.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Will Del Mar
Re: International wireless standards AND NOW flute mic for vocals?
on May 11, 2008 at 1:29:21 pm

Hi Ty,

Thanks for your info. I think that, all things considered, wired lapel mics will be the way to go for me. they're cheaper too, and I think a 3m+ lead will be long enough for me.

I've seen on a website a flute microphone with a 7m lead. It is an Audix ADX10. I like the look of it, and am thinking i'll buy it a tie clip and give it a try with voice. its a cardioid lapel with an okay frequency response. I'd like to know if anyone has any experience using microphones specifically designed for woodwind or other musical instruments for people? what could I expect?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: International wireless standards AND NOW flute mic for vocals?
on May 11, 2008 at 1:51:21 pm

Will,

Careful with cardioid lavs, they can sound a little weird because the fidelity is compromised for the directionality.

Countryman B6 omni lavs are tiny. I use a little G-tape, make a 1" loop in the cord, put it on the tape and put the tape inside a jacket opening with the tip of the mic aimed up at the face.

I have also rigged them inside a shirt with the mic poking through a shirt button hole and hiding behind the button. Takes a bit more time, but it's invisible. Outside, with wind, you need the little foam ball or something bigger, depending on wind conditions.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]