FORUMS: list search recent posts

Making gun sounds appear in the distance

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Kleischven
Making gun sounds appear in the distance
on May 11, 2008 at 3:57:07 am

Hello everyone,
Well, what I am trying to do is make gun sounds appear as if they are int he distance. I have over 200 gun sounds, so the sound is not the problem. It's just making it sound as if its in the distance. The only way I can think of that would get the job done is turning the bass down half way and adding some reverb. However, I know there is a much better more authentic way to do that. I'm using premiere pro so it has most of the normal audio tools.
Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Making gun sounds appear in the distance
on May 11, 2008 at 1:14:56 pm

Not a bad plan, John. Maybe roll off a bit of the top end as well. Air knocks down HF.

It sort of depends on whether or not you want real gun sounds or "movie" gun sounds.

Movie gun sounds are artificially concocted.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

John Kleischven
on May 11, 2008 at 6:35:07 pm

Well, I have a mix of movie sounds and real sounds. TBH im not an audio buff, so I really have no clue. Any specific instructions I could get? Thanks in advance
-John

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 11, 2008 at 7:03:17 pm

It's pretty open to interpretation. How big (unrealistically big) do you want 'em to sound?

Add low end effects, add bomb explosions, add lightning strikes. Layer it all and see what you get. Enjoy.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Spencer Sternberg
on Nov 3, 2009 at 10:28:14 am

My reply comes a bit late for this post, but it may help others coming across this question.
Spencer

Another way you could do it is by using a reverb plugin that allows you to control the wet/dry ratio of the effect output. That is, the amount of effect (wet) versus the amount of original sound (dry).

In this way, you can set dry to 0% so what you are hearing is only the output of your reverb chain. If you choose a hall as your reverb, then your 100% wet signal will sound like you are truly hearing it from inside a hall.

Experiment with what size reverb you want, that is, type and reverb time, and if you can, set the wet percentage to 100, and the dry percentage to 0.

I would probably go with a small sized reverb but a longer reverb time (and 0% original signal, only the output of the reverb). Also, try to layer as many sound sources as you can with slightly different reverb settings and stereo placing.

Spencer Sternberg
Audio for Games
http://www.spencersternberg.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]