FORUMS: list search recent posts

Microphone for recording guide vo

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rod Main
Microphone for recording guide vo
on May 8, 2008 at 9:01:52 am

Hi
Just setting up up a FCP suite and will need to record guide voice overs for sequences. They need to be decent quality but will ultimately be replaced in final audio. I am thinking a headset might be a good way to go. If anyone has any suggestions why not, or good models to go for (USP or otherwise), or indeed any other input on this subject, I would be v grateful.
Running on a new Mac Pro with no third party video/audio I/O board added as yet.
Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Microphone for recording guide vo
on May 8, 2008 at 1:05:57 pm

Hello Rod and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum

Providing your Mac has an audio in port and I think all do these days, you have a lot of solutions.

The trick is that the input jack is stereo, unbalanced. To feed it properly you need to use a stereo mic or a mic with a cable that's been wired to feed a mono mic to both input channels. The Rode VideoMic is such a mic.

Your other option is to use USB mic. USB mics have latency (delay in the headphones) due to the time it takes to convert analog to digital and back.) That can be very disconcerting if you are wearing headphones while recording your own voice. If you're not wearing headphones, it's not a problem. The Audio Technica 2020USB is actually a very decent mic in this category.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Rod Main
on May 8, 2008 at 1:19:27 pm

Thanks for that Ty.
CCow is brilliant, you will be hearing more from me soon as I get up and running with my suite!
Rod

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on May 8, 2008 at 3:45:10 pm

Sometimes I use a headset mic, but the sound quality can be kind of poor (I'm talking the cheap kind you would use for Skype).

Usually I just hook up a camera to the computer via firewire and use a lav or shotgun - record straight into the computer, export the audio and delete the video.

A USB mic would be cool, amybe I'll get one.

Another option if you do a lot of this is an audio recorder, like this or another similar unit

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Edirol-R-09-24-Bit-Wave-MP3-Recorder-241132-i11...

Return to posts index

George Burbano
on May 10, 2008 at 3:12:56 pm

Hi Rod,

If you are setting up a FCP suite, I would recomend you set it up right from the beginning. Of-course this means laying out money but doing it right from the beginning will save you time and money later on..

So I would recommend you get yourself a good firewire mixer, 2 channels ok, 4 channels better. Alesis makes some really good mixer/audio interfaces in Firewire and USB. Their popular ones are the 8 and 12 channel. This device gets hooked up to your computer via firewire, and is set up to be your input/output device for sound. Very easy to setup and very easy to use.

You should have a good set of monitors,again I use the KRKs studio monitors, but have recently bought a pair of BX8A from M-audio. They are phenomenal and have a tremendous amount of power. Those get hooked up to the main out from the mixer.

For Mikes, I use the AKG perception 200, and I built a small 6x6 sound booth myself, cause my macs, crank up some noise, when recording.

Setting up a system like this will probably cost you about $1200 USD, you can purchase these things from any of the common stores, B&H in NYC, Gotham, or Guitar Center, shop around for best prices.

For portable I was using the M-Audio FW 410 interface, I was using this on my powerbook, and it works great, it's bus powered, and have recorded directly into FCP, garageband, and Soundtrack, with no problem.

Hope this helps,

George

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 12, 2008 at 4:20:17 am

Since it's just for scratch tracks, you might consider this recipe...

Take ANY basic mic. A headworn unit would be fine, or even a simple Shure SM58 or EV-635.

Buy yourself a Centrance MicPort Pro. It's around $150 and is essentially a mic preamp, headphone amp, and USB converter (with phantom power if you ever want to use a better condenser mic) - all in the form of a simple barrel connector.

Plug it into the XLR socket of your mic. And run the included USB cable to your Mac. Plug your cans directly into the MicPort Pro which gives you zero latency monitoring - and you're in business.

Point your FCP audio input to the USB bus and record directly using the Voiceover Tool.

Simple, portable, effective, and even cheap.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 12, 2008 at 12:09:56 pm

Great find, Bill. I've been waiting for one of these.

Thanks for letting us know!

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]