FORUMS: list search recent posts

filed mixer

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
luke pearson
filed mixer
on May 8, 2008 at 4:53:36 am

Hey guys. I'm looking to purchase a field mixer for my video production projects. I mainly film weddings, law depositions, etc. and need a mixer badly. Does anyone have any recommendations. I was looking at the Sure FP-33 for reference. Thanks for any help guys.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: filed mixer
on May 8, 2008 at 1:15:11 pm

Hello Luke and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

If I had to buy today, it would be a Sound Devices 302.

I have their 442 mixer and have used the 302 and MixPre.

Sound Devices are extremely scrupulous. If you have any questions about your specific rig, call them and ask them any question you may have. They don't sell direct, but they will answer your questions. Tell 'em I sent you.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Luke Pearson
on May 9, 2008 at 3:21:26 am

thanks so much ty.

Luke Pearson
http://www.LiftFilms.net

Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels.
-Hebrews 13:2

Return to posts index

Luke Pearson
on May 9, 2008 at 3:23:49 am

Ty. What do you like better about the sound devices vs. the shure? thanks

Luke Pearson

Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: field mixer
on May 9, 2008 at 10:21:38 pm

Hi Luke,
I have both a shure FP33 and a mix pre ...like them both.
The shure has better options than the mix pre (i dont know about the 302 ) like mic level out and various mic powering options.
But the mix pre is smaller and I more than not use this mixer on simple shoots ie. 1 shotgun or 2 lavs.

3 channels would be better than 2 for weddings, this would allow 2 mic feeds and a music feed from the PA if req.
As i have said i dont know the other mixers ...but the shure FP33 is good to use......

Return to posts index

Luke Pearson
on May 10, 2008 at 12:03:12 am

Thanks Brian! Good info.

Luke Pearson

Return to posts index

David Jones
on May 10, 2008 at 3:23:02 am

Hi Luke

I'm not Ty, but I just used the 302 for a PBS documentary shot in HD with the Sony HDW-900, and I can tell you it's probably the best 3 channel mixer out there! The biggest thing you'll notice between the 33 and the 302, is the meters; the 33 has very small VU meters where as the 302 has the ability to display PPM, VU or both! The meters are big and bright LED's that can have the brightness adjusted. The 302 has sooooooooooooooo many options AND has the ability to have more than two outputs!

I have owned a FP-32A and FP-33 and always hated the metering on them. They are so hard to read, and in my experence, don't hold their calibration. I currently own a Wendt 4X but, MY next mixer will be a Sound Devices.

Best Wishes

Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]