FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need to measure dynamic range of audio file

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Latter
Need to measure dynamic range of audio file
on May 4, 2008 at 7:28:12 pm

I have resently started using sound track pro for audio work. Before I was using sound forge. In sound forge there was a way to measure the dynamic range of an audio file. RMS to peak levels. I have not been able to find a way to measure the dynamic range of an audio file with sound track pro yet.
My question is, is there a way to do it with STPro, or if not, is there a plugin for it that will allow me to do this?

thanks,
bret

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Need to measure dynamic range of audio file
on May 4, 2008 at 10:31:07 pm

Hello Bret,

I'm not entirely sure I know what you're asking. The RMS to peak ratio?

What will you do with this measurement?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Bret Latter
on May 4, 2008 at 11:02:09 pm

RMS = root means squared. It is a mathematical calculation measuring the voltage of the audio file. RMS would be the average/medium measurment. Sound forge then would give me the measurments in db levels.

RMS at -32db. and peaks at -7db. I would then calculate that the audio file has a 25db dynamic range and if I only wanted it to have say a 16db range I would then know how much I would need to compress it.

I hope I explained this correctly so you understand what I'm looking for.

thanks,
bret

Return to posts index

Bret Latter
on May 6, 2008 at 4:49:02 pm

I hope I explained the previous post correctly. I might not have and made myself sound a little foolish. I have been using this way to measure a sound file for about 8 years or so with great consistancy in my audio work. I have resently moved away form the PC and over to a mac. Sound Forge doesn't make a mac version of its software otherwise I'd just use it. So i'm trying to find tools/plugins to use in stpro that I understand.

So I'll just ask one more time. Does anyone know of a way to measure the dynamic range of a sound file in stpro. Or is there a plugin for it that will do the measuring.

thanks,
bret

Return to posts index

Nick Brinker
on Jan 30, 2015 at 1:04:20 am

Hello Bret, have you figured this out? I know it's a long shot but I am interested in doing the same thing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]