FORUMS: list search recent posts

A how do they do it question. A UK production called “Gardeners world”

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel De Avila
A how do they do it question. A UK production called “Gardeners world”
on Apr 30, 2008 at 10:28:37 pm

Hello
There is a BBC production called Gardeners World that has been broadcasting for some time and it always seems to have very consistent audio production, even in a verity of environments and situations.

Cast/presenters - lots of bulky tight fitting cloths and no visible lapel mic. Thick sweaters, thick scarves and thick jackets. While speaking presenters are always moving about, standing to kneeling, bending over, using tools, carrying things, static body positions with very extended head and upper body turns away from the camera.

Camera shots are (for lack of a better description) dynamic. Crane and dolly shots all while the presenter is speaking. And in many cases shooting through green houses and at lengthy distances.

A verity of weather conditions - rain, wind, etc etc.

I don’t think they can do ADR because a lot of interviews involve so many peripheral sources, gardeners, children, etc etc.

Does anyone in this forum have any knowledge about the program? If not, can anyone given my basic description, provide any possible ideas about mic placement or workflow strategies?

Is it too much to think that you can always get clean audio in these conditions or is a certain amount of post production required?

Is it a combination of good mic placement, professional monitoring, cleaver editing, and good audio post?
Many Thanks - hope this make sence
Daniel

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: A how do they do it question. A UK production called “Gardeners world”
on May 1, 2008 at 3:55:26 am

Greetings

I have not seen the program, but I know what you're talking about: the sound is so perfect, it sounds like ADR. I know of a couple of other shows like that including, "New Scandanavian Cooking, with Tina Nordstrom", and...I can't remember the other. It might be "Globe Trekker", but I'm not sure. Anyway, my guess as to why this is, is the last statement you made..."it's a combination of good mic placement, professional monitoring, cleaver editing, and good audio post". I also believe they are using lav mics (instead of a shotgun mic), well mounted and hidden. It really comes down to this: some production companies care about getting perfect audio, and some do not.

Return to posts index

Daniel De Avila
Re: A how do they do it question. A UK production called “Gardeners world”
on May 8, 2008 at 12:55:50 pm

Hello
Please excuse the delay. I was waiting for some possible feed back from an audio technician who works on the show. So far…

Probably scared him with the always slightly off putting introduction, “you don’t know me…” in my email.

Anyway, thanks for your input. I suspect you right.

All the best
Daniel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]