FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need Sound help for filming a start up soap opera show

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ana Maria Suarez
Need Sound help for filming a start up soap opera show
on Apr 30, 2008 at 5:30:29 pm

Hello and this is my first post here.

If this has already been asked, please don't be mad, just direct me to where I can find it. I did search.

I made a set in a building and will film soap opera with a canon gl1.
Mostly I will have one or two people talking. It is like a soap opera type setting. I was thinking of making a boom and holding the mic above camera view.

I have a Sennheiser ME 66 shot gun microphone. Would this be a good mic for holding over the person?
Should I run that mic direct from the camera?

I am on a low budget. If you recommend a better mic let me know.
I was looking at the H2 Zoom for 180.00$ it has ok reviews and thinking I could hold that over or under my characters when they talk.

What are some things you would recommend. Mics, do I hook direct to my camera or computer.
Is it a pain to always sink audio from a seperate source with your video in Premiere?

I am filming this for myself and for a film contest. So I would like the sound good enough if it were to be shown on a tv. A dream of mine. The only drawback is the money, so I am willing to get "just good enough" audio equipment.

Thanks for your sound advice.

Return to posts index

Ana Maria Suarez
Any us the Zoom H2 audio recorder?
on May 1, 2008 at 1:02:32 am

Ignore my first post, I think it was to confusing.

I have read a few reviews on the zoom h2. good and so so.
I saw a person on Youtube using it taped to a boom.

Would love to hear your experience on this.
How far away is to far to record 2 people talking with this unit?

Not looking for BlockBuster Movie sound. (not yet);)
But want something simular or better in audio when shows where recorded in the 70's or 80's.

I have between 200 to 400 for my budget. (please say 200) I am using a Canon Gl1 and will shoot actors (1,2 or 3) talking in a room with a 8 foot ceiling.

If you could give me a list of mics to research.
I already have a shotgun mic and lav.

I want the sound just good enough if some TV network or movie company wants to buy it.
after that then I can afford to upgrade.
:)
Thank you so much for your time.

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: Need Sound help for filming a start up soap opera show
on May 1, 2008 at 4:26:16 am

Greetings

Are you doing everything yourself, or will you have help? Do you know anyone with experence in production sound mixing? If you do, you would be better off hiring them to help you. You said you have an ME-66, but do you have a boom pole (to mic your actors from overhead), or anyone to operate it?

If you are shooting and handling the sound yourself, you might be better off using lav mics (one for each actor), hidden under clothing, and run directly into the camera.

In any case, remember this: your production will only be as good as your weakest link; if your audio is bad, the whole program will suffer.

Dave

Return to posts index

Peter Perry
on May 1, 2008 at 4:57:50 am

I agree. The Zoom units are nice little tools for getting ambient sounds and room tone, but your ME66 is better for dialogue.....providing you have a boom pole and someone who understands how to operate it. You can go right into your camera with it. You don't need to buy anything else.
I know budgets are tight....we are all in that boat now, but if you want to try and sell your show, you should look into hiring someone for a day to show you how to use your tools.
Peter

Return to posts index

Peter Perry
on May 1, 2008 at 5:10:52 am

Ooops...I forgot you said GL1 camera. You would need a mixer or a Beachtek DXA-4p also. The Beachtek is under $200.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 1, 2008 at 10:35:43 pm

[Ana Maria Suarez] "
I have a Sennheiser ME 66 shot gun microphone. Would this be a good mic for holding over the person?
Should I run that mic direct from the camera?

>>>>Hello Ana and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.
Shotgun mics (mics with interference tubes) are not good in reflective areas (like most indoors sets) unless you have a three wall set with no ceiling. Or unless you d a lot of sound-proofing. Otherwise, the mic of choice is a hypercardioid or supercardioid with no interference tube. Top of the line would be a Schoeps cmc41.

I am on a low budget. If you recommend a better mic let me know.

>>>>Everyone's on a budget. If you want to do a good job you need the right tools. You can't afford to buy cheap.

I was looking at the H2 Zoom for 180.00$ it has ok reviews and thinking I could hold that over or under my characters when they talk.

>>>> Nope.

What are some things you would recommend. Mics, do I hook direct to my camera or computer.

>>>> You might try that, but the pros use a good mixer between the mics and cameras.

Is it a pain to always sink audio from a seperate source with your video in Premiere?

>>>> Dunno, haven't tried it with Premiere

I am filming this for myself and for a film contest. So I would like the sound good enough if it were to be shown on a tv. A dream of mine. The only drawback is the money, so I am willing to get "just good enough" audio equipment. "

>>>>Then don't expect your sound to be as good as that which you hear on TV. :)

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Ana Maria Suarez
on May 2, 2008 at 1:11:47 am

Thank you so much for your input. You guys are the best. And help out the beginners very well.

I watched a video on youtube about a man saying for business and educational video the Hypercardiod Rode nt3 microphone is very good as a boom mic and for less than 200 dollars.
Anyone have any experience with this?

I am learning, but like with my shotgun mic and this mic, is it better to keep about 3 feet or so from the subject and just out of camera view? I will buy a microphone stand to hold the mic out of view and pointing toward the subject or hang it above the subjects. I will be creative with my cuts if the subject talks and does action.

I might get the zoom h2 to record ambient noise and maybe for other things.
I also own a Tascam US-122 for my Sennheiser ME 66. Would this be like the mixer you are talking about?

Is all this a good way to go? Or what would you recommend I might look at.

You have more experience than I do with sound. And thanks for your advice. I can't afford a sound man or high end equipment, but in my heart I will work had to make what I have work to its best.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 2, 2008 at 10:48:10 am

Hello Ana,

The NT3 is an OK studio mic, but too heavy to boom by hand.

Closeness is your friend with mics. 12" - 18" , just out of frame.

Boom stands are great, when the talent doesn't move.

The Sound Devices 302 is the best entry level mixer and will keep working for you as you grow.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]