FORUMS: list search recent posts

What is split audio?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kent Kajino
What is split audio?
on Apr 25, 2008 at 6:13:44 pm

Is there a standard definition for split audio?
(searches didn't turn up useful info anywhere & apologies for similar post in the Broadcast board)

I'm being asked by a producer at ABC for a portion of my documentary film on beta SP with split audio.

What goes on which channel?

What I have right now is a 5.1ch surround mix and stereo LtRt, everything mixed together for playback at a theater.

I have a feeling that split audio means something more along the lines of VO and dialog on ch1, M&E on ch2,3 and so on.

Could someone provide some examples? (I'm new to video production in general, but completely new to broadcast!!) I suppose I'll need to ask my sound editor to make the appropriate tracks.

The producer is a little hard to get a hold of, so I've been asking around, and everyone says the definition varies. Anyone have experience with ABC?

Kent

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: What is split audio?
on Apr 25, 2008 at 7:17:33 pm

I my vast experence with broadcast, split audio means they (ABC) don't want the narration/reporter/interview track mixed with the rest of the sound. In news, generally, you only have two tracks to work with so, the reporter track in on channel 1 and the nats are on 2. They just want to be able to take out/or control any narration track you're using, and when it's mixed, they can't do it.

Return to posts index

Kent Kajino
on Apr 25, 2008 at 7:34:19 pm

NATSOT channel 1 (BASICALLY we just need the sot and nats clean, and be
able to separate or mute vo and music)
VO TRACK channel 2
MUSIC channel 3

This is what I got back from the producer just now, so I guess everything is monoaural. Even my sound editor who mostly does film and episodics didn't know the term NATSOT until today...

Thanks for the help!!

Kent

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Apr 26, 2008 at 3:07:48 am

Glad they got back with you. NAT/SOT is a term that is almost exclusively used in news and so, no one else has any idea what it means. Yeah, as someone who works in news I can tell you we ALWAYS want seperated tracks :o)

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Apr 29, 2008 at 12:23:33 am

SOT = sound on tape. Sound bites - people talking
NAT = natural sound. Sound that isn't someone talking, unless they're talking as part of the background.
NATSND = natural sound (same as NAT)

A typical news package has a combination of narration, SOTs and NATSND. NATSND typically runs under the narration. Then there's the STANDUP, which is the reporter talking to camera.

Another type of news story is the VO/SOT, in which the anchor reads over video with NATSND, then stops in time for the SOT to come in full.

Many of these terms go back to the days of news film, which could be double system (like features) or film stock with an audio stripe (news & documentary). The conventions carried over when videotape replaced film. (Sad to say, I remember when that happened!)

I could go on, but only if you give me a cookie.

Jeff M.
(Network promo guy, former new guy)

I could

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]