FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compact Flash Recorder to pair with a Sound Devices 302 Mixer

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Wallace
Compact Flash Recorder to pair with a Sound Devices 302 Mixer
on Apr 18, 2008 at 2:13:31 pm

I have an HVX200 camera and need to step up my sound recording abilities for doco / corporate and my own small drama projects.
I was keen on the Tascam HD-P2 as I love the idea of it but I can see keeping on top of syncing everything, by shooting slates in the field and then having to line them all up in editing as doing my head in. Call me lazy!!
So now I'm thinking the Sound Devices 302 Mixer for most of the time when the soundie will be tethered to the cam anyway and sync's not an issue.
There's still times when I'll need the soundie to be a free agent, ie taking a feed from a desk, where I'll need some way of recording the sound from the mixer without the camera. Ie a mini disc or DAT or Compact Flash recording thingy.
The Tascam HD-P2 seems like overkill with the 302 as well so can anyone suggest a cheap and easy option. Ideally Compact Flash based I think as there's no mechanism noise.

Thanks very much.

Return to posts index

Tyler Faison
Re: Compact Flash Recorder to pair with a Sound Devices 302 Mixer
on Apr 18, 2008 at 7:20:04 pm

I use an M-audio Microtrack II for backup recording. I always run it if I ever need to save my butt. I was on the verge of getting a 744T, but just couldn't justify it for what I do, which is generally sit down interviews and the like. I do a bit of drama, but it's always on some HD video camera, not film, so that's not really an issue. And it's just a backup, so I figure that at least they have it if something goes wrong. Post can sync it manually if production doesn't want to take the time to slate. A pain, yes, but some audio is better than no audio. Also, great quality. No complaints here.

Return to posts index

Josh Wallace
on Apr 19, 2008 at 12:22:15 pm

Nice one.
Thanks Tyler, looks like a very useful little box and the price is right.
I have a Sennheiser ME66/K6 shotgun mic, I figure I can run that into the Microtrack directly via a Female XLR to 1/4" TRS Phone Jack. Would that still provide phantom power if required?

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Tyler Faison
on Apr 19, 2008 at 8:23:21 pm

Actually, I don't think it will provide phantom power through the 1/4" TRS inputs. I could be wrong, but I think it is only the mic in that provides phantom power. Might wanna check on that first though. I run mine through my SD 442 and out to that as a backup, so I haven't used the +48 feature.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Apr 20, 2008 at 1:53:02 am

I have at times used a Denon DN-F20R.
A twin Compact Flash disc Recorder about the size of my Shure FP33 mixer.
I have also used a "Gemini IKEY" usb recorder that records direct to a usb thumb drive ..
The advantage of these type of recorders is a quick transfer to the producers laptop at the end of the job.
I also do a backup copy and hold that on a CD on file (just in case)

Return to posts index

Tyler Faison
on Apr 20, 2008 at 6:20:18 pm

The advantage of any flash is definitely the instantaneousness of it. I always keep a CF reader with me in case a producer does want to take it with them right there on set.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]