FORUMS: list search recent posts

Phantom Power Options

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Tuchschmidt
Phantom Power Options
on Apr 18, 2008 at 3:15:10 am

I have an Azden 41BT body pack transmitter and 200UPR receiver. This system worked great with the lavalier that came with the system. Sometime ago, I bought 2 COS11 microphones. They work great when I hard wire them into my camera and I love them because they mix so well with my shotgun and they are easy to hide.

When I use these on my wireless system, the audio is clipped even though it is not full scale. Azden tells me the 41BT does not provide phantom power (48V, which the COS11 requires), but has a 9V Bias current. The microphones do work, which puzzles me, but the dynamic range is obviously limited by the lack of adequate voltage.

So, here is my questions. If I purchase a battery operated phantom power unit that provides 48V and the appropriate adapter cables (Hirose to xlr) can I use my COS11's with these transmitters? Or, will the bias current be a problem? Will I need to prevent the phantom current from being fed back into the transmitter? Should I just by COS11X-BP which get their phantom current from an inline battery? I am looking for a practical, cost effective solution that will give me the most flexibility.

I appreciate any advice you might have.

Jim

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Phantom Power Options
on Apr 18, 2008 at 10:52:57 pm

Hello Jim and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

Will the 9V DC bias voltage cause a problem? That's the real question. In cases where that sort of voltage actually does cause a problem, a capacitor across the right pins can block it. I don't know what the pins would be in your case, or what size cap would be needed.

I'd check with Sanken in California. Maybe they'd know. Sometimes the bias voltage is a problem and sometimes it isn't.

Shouldn't be any problem with phantom though

Sorry.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Jim Tuchschmidt
on Apr 19, 2008 at 2:37:36 am

Thanks. Is the fact that the bias voltage powers the mic any clue here? I wrote Sanken to ask them about this arrangement. Jim

Jim

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 19, 2008 at 3:44:29 am

Hi Jim,

It's a case of conflicting circuits. The wireless body mic input with the bias voltage is not what the Sanken wants to see. The question remains as to whether or not something weird happens when the bias voltage runs back up into the output of the phantom supply.

You might get lucky and there might be a capacitor in the output stage of the phantom power supply. Sanken might also have something to say about the pin outs and where to put a DC blocking capacitor.

Good luck.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Jim Tuchschmidt
on Apr 20, 2008 at 4:17:45 am

Thanks, I understand. I appreciate your help.

Jim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]