FORUMS: list search recent posts

Boosting low input level for recording

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bobby Mikel
Boosting low input level for recording
on Apr 8, 2008 at 5:45:26 pm

I have a 16 channel 500wX2 Yamaha mixer. I am taking a record out into a CD recorder. The problem is a can't set the Yamaha to nominal level because the main out is going to a house feed. The level is way too low when it reaches the CD deck. Can anyone recommend a good, affordable preamp/ inline amp or other accessory that I can use to make this work?

Thanks in advance,

Bobby

Bobby Mikel
Television Services
Production Assistant
Jacksonville State University

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: Boosting low input level for recording
on Apr 9, 2008 at 4:39:36 am

What is it you are recording (what is your source)? Are you saying that you are sending a mic level to a house PA system, but you need to also send a line level feed to a CD recorder?

Return to posts index

Bobby Mikel
on Apr 9, 2008 at 1:42:59 pm

It is for my church. Just vocals would be recorded (preaching and singing). (I am not worried about the instruments.)

Both outputs are line outs. I am taking the main out to the house using XLR. A record out is going to the CD deck via RCA.

The problem is the level is too low going to the CD deck. It is no where near the average metering of -20 or -12 db.

Maybe that makes it a little more clear. I apologize if it did not.

Bobby Mikel
Television Services
Production Assistant

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Apr 9, 2008 at 3:36:57 pm

Ok, I see what you're saying...

Hopefully someone who knows more than I, will post here (I have very little experence with sound reinforcement). For me, anyway, I would need to see the setup; if you are using the main out for the house, does the record out have seperate faders and/or a way to add gain or switch between line/mic out? In other words, is there a way to seperately control the record out? If not, then I think your first instinct was right; you need some sort of pre amp. Again, hopefully someone else can give you a specific answer.

Return to posts index

Bobby Mikel
on Apr 9, 2008 at 3:55:35 pm

Thanks for the response David. There is no mic/line switch. Also, there is no separate record fader.

I a have done some research and I am thiinking of using a Rolls Promatch MB15. Since I need RCA for both the output of the board and input of the CD Deck, I would just loop the XLR out to in of the Rolls box.

If this will work or if anyone has any suggestions I open to listen.

Thanks again David,
and thanks in advance to everyone else,

Bobby

Bobby Mikel
Television Services
Production Assistant

Return to posts index

Rennie Klymyk
on Apr 9, 2008 at 7:46:28 pm

[Bobby Mikel] "Both outputs are line outs. I am taking the main out to the house using XLR. A record out is going to the CD deck via RCA.
"

I'm assuming the "house" is going to an amp and then to speakers. Can you feed the cd recorder from this amp also?

"everything is broken" ......Bob Dylan

Return to posts index

Peter Perry
on Apr 9, 2008 at 9:50:28 pm

No, you don't want to do that.
Try turning down the amps feeding the PA system. Then you will be able to push more level through the console, which should raise the level on the record outs.
Peter

Return to posts index

Bobby Mikel
on Apr 10, 2008 at 7:45:03 pm

Here is the setup:

Yamaha EMX5016CF (powered 500w+500w) mixer. Main outs go to the sanctuary. Record out goes to a Sony CD player/recorder. If I make the level reach nominal reference for the CD deck it will be way too loud in the sanctuary. I need something between the Record out and the analog in on the CD deck to boost the level.

Any recommendations,

Thanks in advance,

Bobby

Bobby Mikel
Television Services
Production Assistant

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 10, 2008 at 9:05:53 pm

Hello Bobby and a belated welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

This is a gain staging problem.

You need to find separate gain controls for the Yamaha outputs that feed the power amps and speakers. I see from the block diagram that the power amps can be adjusted to 75W. 200W or 500W each. See where they are set and if they are 500W, then try the 75W and 200W to see if that lowers the speaker volume and allows you to increase the master gain (which should increase the record out).

Or use the ST Out to feed the recorder. The block diagram indicates it can be varied continuously from -10 to +4.

Or use both lowering the PA power and switching to the ST Out.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Bobby Mikel
on Apr 11, 2008 at 1:36:15 pm

Thanks Ty. I already tried lowering the boards amp switch before I posted and that does not work.

I have not tried the ST Out. I assumed that would give me the same output level as the record out. I will try that though thanks.

Thanks again,

Bobby

Bobby Mikel
Television Services
Production Assistant

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 11, 2008 at 2:46:24 pm

Bobby,

No Problem. The ST out should be adjustable. If you still can't get enough level, you may need a -10 to +4 converter amp.

http://www.henryeng.com/matchbox.html.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]