FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fixing audio recorded Mic level on a Line level input

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Teixeira
Fixing audio recorded Mic level on a Line level input
on Apr 3, 2008 at 6:53:53 pm

Hey guys,
I just got some tapes in for an edit job and it seems the ENG audio guy forgot to switch the line level/mic level input correctly.
So I have audio that was coming out of a mixer at line level but the camera was set to record mic level. So It is really over modulated ( I think that is the proper terminology). Any advice on fixing this?
Thanks
Dave

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: Fixing audio recorded Mic level on a Line level input
on Apr 3, 2008 at 8:58:38 pm

Unfortunately, as far as I know there's really no way to fix over modulated audio. Even if you adjust (or lower) the levels, it will still "sound" distorted. It would have been better if you had levels that were to low than to hot. It's like over exposing video; you can't fix that ether. Maybe someone with more post-sound experience, though, will post here with a solution.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 4, 2008 at 12:55:11 am

Hello Dave and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

I'm afraid I can't let you close the pad bay doors........(ooops sorry, Space Odssey flashback)

Adobe Audition (the software) is supposed to haver a declipper, but I haven't used it.

I think you're only real solution may be the reshoot filter.

Sorry.

In the future, the best thing is to ALWAYS listen to the headphone jack on the camera...all the time.

Regards and sympathies,

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Apr 4, 2008 at 6:35:26 am

If the audio is fundementally clipped electronically, then theres not much can be done. As Ty says, ALWAYS monitor end of chain. This is Day 1 lesson 1 at the course "so you want to be a sound engineer"
If you drop a ming vase down the stairs, no amount of super glue will regain its original value.
Youll either have to live with it of re shoot

Peter

Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]