FORUMS: list search recent posts

marantz pmd660 and rode ntg2 mic

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Canavan
marantz pmd660 and rode ntg2 mic
on Mar 25, 2008 at 12:43:53 pm

Hi guys, looking for a little help.

In the middle of making a doco and have been using a marantz pmd660 for recording sound, using a rode ntg2 shotgun mic.

Im having some problems however, as im finding that its distorting easily, when the meters are not even close to the red. Were talking its in the -12 to -20db range, which is supposed to be good level for recording. It happens when the voice or whatever it may be is louder and the mic is close to the subjects mouth for example, but still the levels are nowhere near the red..Don't know what is going wrong...any ideas?
Ive seen the oade brothers website, and they modify the marantz pmd660 recorder for better pre-amps, but is this the problem?

Thanks very much guys and gals.
Nick.

Return to posts index

Edward  Chick
Re: marantz pmd660 and rode ntg2 mic
on Mar 25, 2008 at 9:08:51 pm

Have you tried using the internal -20db mic level pad on your 660? I have one(PMD 660) and use it for transcription purposes during interviews. I usually run line level in via TA3 out from my mixer to the 660. I set reference tone @-12db.

edward chick

Return to posts index

Nicholas Canavan
on Mar 25, 2008 at 11:11:25 pm

Edward, yes sometimes i use the -20db attenuator...but i can't say it has helped much with this distortion type problem, it turns down the overall level, but then i generally have to raise the levels up a bit to get a decent enough (but still low level), and the distortion is no less likely to occur.

Thanks for your responses

Return to posts index

Edward  Chick
on Mar 25, 2008 at 11:46:17 pm

Have you tried backing the mic away from your subject?

edward chick

Return to posts index

Nicholas Canavan
on Mar 26, 2008 at 2:21:01 am

Ernie,
Yes, and your right, overall it does work better when the mic isn't so close to a subject. I guess my problem with it is, that i do have to bring up the level slightly (still aiming generally at the -20 to -12db mark) if the mic is further from subject. But if someone raises there voice a decent amount, or music is played, it then tends to distort..even though like i mentioned, the levels are nowhere near the dreaded red.
I use phantom power and have heard a few people mention that the phantom power might not be great on the marantz, have you heard of this at all?

thanks again..
Any more advice is much appreciated.

Return to posts index

warrick sony
on Oct 1, 2008 at 12:46:22 pm

I was interested to find your piece on the PMD 660. I have had the same problem. I was recording a traditional Xhosa wedding in Lusikisiki, South Africa and found that as soon as there was high volume chanting and singing the sound started breaking up even though I had the -20db pad on.No matter how low I pulled the level down it was totally unusable sound. I thought it was the mic overloading - a Sennheisser 816 long rifle which is usually tough and reliable - so I changed to a pair of AKG 416's but with no relief.I used to do a lot of professional film sound recording work during the 80's and 90's (never came across such a problem) and trust the 816 under any condition so I could only conclude that it was the machine. Basically ruined a very expensive and historic trip. The soft recordings of ambiance and quiet hand held instruments were good but this is a poor design limitation. Good thing I didn't buy it!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]