FORUMS: list search recent posts

Booming, Mic Choices and HDV Audio - Tutorial

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ty Ford
Booming, Mic Choices and HDV Audio - Tutorial
on Mar 21, 2008 at 1:03:08 pm

Hi,

I was recently asked bout using an interference tube, shotgun mic and HDV audio for an interior two shot. If you have any additional suggestions, please do toss in.

1. Your shotgun is not the mic to use. For normal interiors you don't want an interference tube mic. The Audix scx-1 with hypercardioid capsule, Audio Technica 4053a and Schoeps cmc641 -- from low to high, in that order, will sound a lot better than your shotgun.

You don't talk about the acoustics of the space, but there's a world of difference between audio captured in a hard-surfaced kitchen and a comfy den.

2. You say two people talking at the same time. I'm thinking you probably don't mean that unless this is some sort of special situation. Normally people talk sequentially. If these people are close enough to each other, then you can get the best audio with a boom and operator who knows how to follow dialog.

If the talent is farther apart, two locked down booms will will work if the talent doesn't move. In a dramatic scene, this is not likely. In any case, be careful of head turns or looks to the floor while lines are given.

If there's a lot of motion -- too much for a good boom person to stay with, you have to go to lavs, each to a separate track, then combine in post.

As to the HDV audio issue; I'm an audio guy, first. 384 kbps mpeg stereo audio grinds my grits. Why, when the baseline for audio quality for digital audio has been 24-bit, 48 or 96 kHz sample rate PCM for quite a while now, the committee thought mpeg audio at 1/5 the rate of even 16-bit 44.1 kHz was a good idea is a travesty to me.

Yes, there will be a difference if you double record. When you (well me anyway) hear 24-bit audio captured well, I can hear the power, detail, and texture. Get the latest Pirates of the Carribbean film and listen to the interior dialog with a really good set of headphones. Very sweet. Mpeg audio loses that.

The difference will be mitigated to some degree by the audio gear you use and how you use it. If it's not going up for an academy award, and you pay very close attention to the audio, ::sigh::, you'll probably be OK. What's important is that you know there's better. As always, I encourage you to make it sound as good as possible.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: Booming, Mic Choices and HDV Audio - Tutorial
on Mar 30, 2008 at 11:46:54 pm

HI TY,

Putting in an order. I have to deal with low ceilings, little or no absorbing material etc, indoors, and have learned that shotguns don't cut it.

Been using hand-held and lavs, but would like to use boom-poles so students can learn.

On BHphoto:

The Audix scx-1 with hypercardioid capsule: goes for $500 each

Audio Technica 4053a for $400 each

The Schoeps cmc641 at $2000 each is over-budget.

So is the Audio Technica 4053a the best buy here?

OSX 10.4.11; Quicksilver Dual 1 gig; G5 dual 2.5 gig; FCP 4.5, 3.0.4; Sony camcorder vx2000/pd170;Canon xl2; Pana consumer cams; write professionally for a variety of media;teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Booming, Mic Choices and HDV Audio - Tutorial
on Mar 31, 2008 at 5:36:21 pm

Hi Craig,

If you don't have the dough, that's the way to go.:)

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]