FORUMS: list search recent posts

IFB Systems

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Bartolucci
IFB Systems
on Mar 20, 2008 at 12:59:42 am

Hi, I'm looking to get a IFB system so that our talent does not have to use a handset or blue tooth to talk to those on the other end... SO what I want to is hook up a VOIP phone, have the talent wear a wired or wireless earpiece in order to hear the audio on the other end of the phone. Then mic them using a Lav. mic to record there audio and also that will be used so the person on the other end of the phone can hear the talent talking.

The unit i'm looking at is the Innkeeper PBX http://www.jkaudio.com/innkeeper-pbx.htm I think this will do what I want, what I'm not sure about is what earpiece I need or should use. I would like to get one that is both wired and wireless, any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: IFB Systems
on Mar 20, 2008 at 2:01:43 am

Hello Tony and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

The VIOP gear, if close enough to the lav (wired or wireless) may interfere with it.
Maybe not. Proceed with caution.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Tony Bartolucci
on Mar 20, 2008 at 12:25:30 pm

Thanks...I'll have to watch out for that.

Right now though I'm just wondering if the product listed above from JK audio will do what I ask and more important what type of earpiece should I get?

Return to posts index

Peter Perry
on Mar 20, 2008 at 1:15:50 pm

Hi Tony,
You are actually looking for two different things....a hybrid and an IFB system. The unit you are looking at is the hybrid part of the equation, and will work if what you are using is a PBX type phone system.
Now you need to find an IFB system. I don't know of any that can be either wireless or wired, they are usually one or the other. And do you need true IFB? Do you need a director or producer to be able to interrupt the program and talk to the talent, or do you just need the talent to be able to hear the phoner? The difference could amount to thousands of dollars.
If you don't need true IFB, then an in ear monitor system like this
http://www.nady.com/eo3_pg.html
could suffice.
Peter

Return to posts index

Tony Bartolucci
on Mar 20, 2008 at 1:22:50 pm

I'm pretty sure we have a PBX phone system but is there anyway for me to tell with out asking IT?

I suppose "true" IFB is not really necessary but it might be nice to have, can anyone provide any links to B&H for both IFB systems and ear monitor systems that would work?

Return to posts index

Ray Palmer
on Mar 20, 2008 at 6:32:06 pm

[Tony Bartolucci] "I'm pretty sure we have a PBX phone system but is there anyway for me to tell with out asking IT?"

Are your phones commercial or consumer and do you have to dial "9" or someother number to get an outside line?
If they all have the same brand name on them, such as Alcatel, then you have a PBX. If you can use a phone from KMart, then you have an analog phone line.

Ray Palmer, Engineer
Salt River Project
Phoenix, AZ
602-236-8224 office
There are three types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't.

Return to posts index

Tony Bartolucci
on Mar 20, 2008 at 8:00:14 pm

HAHA..

Yes everyone has the same type of Nortel phones and I do have to dial 9.... so that clears that up.

Do you have any recommendations on what specific (provide links) types of IFB systems OR ear monitoring systems?

Return to posts index

Ray Palmer
on Mar 20, 2008 at 10:40:59 pm

The only experience that I have had was with the Genter Microtel. It is very easy to use, can be battery operated and it comes into place after the handset of your telephone.

What I have learned is that even if you are using a PBX, the telephone handset comes "after" the telephone and is analog. You might not be able to put your interface directly into your phone line but you will be able to replace the handset, and that is what the MicroTel and other products do.
http://cgi.ebay.com/GENTNER-910-020-001-MICROTEL-TELEPHONE-INTERFACE_W0QQit...

Ray Palmer, Engineer
Salt River Project
Phoenix, AZ
602-236-8224 office
There are three types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't.

Return to posts index

Ray Palmer
on Mar 20, 2008 at 10:42:21 pm

Make that Gentner Microtel not Genter.

Ray Palmer, Engineer
Salt River Project
Phoenix, AZ
602-236-8224 office

Return to posts index

Ray Palmer
on Mar 20, 2008 at 10:45:55 pm

Check out page four of this PDF.
http://www.broadcastboxes.com/gentner/microtel.pdf

Ray Palmer, Engineer
Salt River Project
Phoenix, AZ
602-236-8224 office

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]