FORUMS: list search recent posts

At U100

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Hartney
At U100
on Mar 16, 2008 at 2:55:15 am

Last week I bought two U100 setups with receiver, at mics, and transmitter. Both were $255 total shipped and they are like new. Tested them out today and they sound OK with a better mic, but I'm running them on the new lithium rechargeable battery 9volt batteries. I checked and the batteries are putting out about 8.2volts fresh out of the charger.

When I put them in the U100 receiver, the power light goes on and stays on. The manual says you should replace the batteries when this is displayed. It should flash, then go to black. If the light stays on, you should change batteries. They seem to run fine on these batteries. Also, when fresh 9volts at 9.3+volts are put in, the light still stays on. Is this normal for these sets?

Thanks.. there are great deals on these and I think they should still be good after next year FQ grab. Anyone still using these? Planning on keeping them in service?

Thanks

John Hartney

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: At U100
on Mar 16, 2008 at 5:08:05 am

Hello John and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

I have two pair of these and actually the mic that comes with them (the little paddle mics) are really quite good and are a very good match for the body transmitters. Which mics are you using?

Please check your manual. To my knowledge, the transmitter light comes on and then goes off until the batteries weaken, then it comes back on so you can visually inspect the transmitter and see it need new batteries when the light is on. OTHO, the receiver LED lights up with power and stays on until power start to fail and then it dims. Yes?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

John Hartney
on Mar 16, 2008 at 6:30:53 pm

Thanks for rapid reply and for pointing out the receiver light stays on as an indicator of battery strength. I'd read the routine for the transmitter and made a wrong assumption.

The AT paddle mics have a rough sounding high end to my ear. Countryman isomax headset mic has a smoother, balanced sound even with the slight lift in the high end. I've also got a couple of Lectrosonics M152 mics and an AT 831cT5. The countryman sounds best.

I've read on the web these discountinued U100 series components are quieter and cleaner sounding than the new 1800 series. Any opinions?

For less than $1000, I've been able to put together 2U100 receivers, two body pack transmitters, a butt plug, all of the above mics, a cable that goes from XLR to 1/8" mini plug, XLR>TA5 cable, and a brand-new Audio Technica 7000 series ATW-7376 that comes with a dynamic handheld mic. Everything is in excellent condition and working well. These are in the original 700mhz range. I'm happy!

I've been using Sony wrt series and Beyerdynamic U400 wireless kits, but I've always liked the ATU100 series and now is a good time to be buying!

I just wonder what will happen to this FQ range next year. Eh?

John Hartney, Chicago Metro - 847.742.9321

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Mar 16, 2008 at 9:41:06 pm

[John Hartney] "I've read on the web these discountinued U100 series components are quieter and cleaner sounding than the new 1800 series. Any opinions?"

Hi John,

I'd be interested in exactly where you heard/saw this.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Mar 16, 2008 at 10:58:21 pm

Hi guys:

In regards to the sound quality between the two models, I will be able to report to you in a week or two. I, like both of you have two sets of the U100s and have been using them happily for years when I am not renting using client's Lectros.

I also happen to have a brand new 1800 Series sitting in my safe that Audio-Technica sent me for a magazine review article. I will be A/B testing between the two. I have not used the 1800 set yet but just in unpacking them, I can tell that the construction is not nearly as robust feeling as the U100 in the transmitter or the receiver. A lot less metal and a lot more plastic.

Seems like a nice setup though as far as features.

Good luck with them John. I have never tried rechargeables in mine so I cannot tell you if that light problem is normal. Mine get fresh 9V twice a day when shooting and the little light glows, then goes dark.

Best,

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

John Hartney
on Mar 17, 2008 at 12:11:47 am

Hi Dan, good to hear from you. How is 2pop coming along?? I look forward to your reviews. I haven't been on any of the boards for a while, but have recently seen your posts on Chris Hurd's (sp??) board regarding your current testing of lavs.

Hi Ty, I've been grazing in this pasture since there were still salamanders in it, but thanks for the welcome. I'll try to find the post, it may have been on usenet, so that's a lot of hay on the needle, but the essence stuck with me. Dan has both and I'm sure will be doing consistent, well measured sampling of their respective performances.

For hardwire, I'm using B6 lavs.

John Hartney
Elgin, Illinois - Chicago Metro

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Mar 17, 2008 at 11:29:45 am

Thanks John,

I reviewed the 1800 about six months or so ago and found it a pretty nice unit. The scanner is not as smart as it could be, but that's probably true for all of us. :)

I'd say use the U100 until they don't work. AT says the receivers need to be a bit apart so as not to interfere with each other, but I've had my two about six inches a[art and not noticed anything peculiar.

There's one chap up in the NW somewhere who says he hears when the antennae switch, but I have only heard that when the units are really stretching for range.

Where did you find the deals on them?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

John Hartney
on Mar 18, 2008 at 5:35:28 am

"Where did you find the deals on them?"

Ty, I bought two U100 sets with body packs and at mics one for $135 and one for $145 on fleabay. They are in new condition and work well. The 7000 with the hand held dynamic mic setup was $299 again on ebay. I also bought two other U100 sets, and scavenged the countryman headset, the butt plug, and AT 831cT5 for only $210, so it came in at well less than $1000... I think a lot of folks bought these because of the low price with high hopes. And as time has passed without using them as originally planned, they are being put out for sale. And, as some of the high end audio market using lectro and zaxcom, and rejecting this level of engineering, it leaves these hanging in the wind. They work well and I encourage anyone wanting good sound to look into these. They're not the very best, but they are very very good.

John Hartney

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Mar 18, 2008 at 12:26:16 pm

Thanks John,

That's also pretty much been my take on them.

The AT 1800 does pretty well by them. A lot of little things. Those folks whom I have suggested buy the 1800 still like me. The 1800 also fit in that "under-appreciated" category you speak about and the ability to have two receivers in one body is something the camera ops like, especially on those cameras with an external power socket for powering the receiver.

The 1800 has a low an high power switch which can be useful. The battery doors don't pop open unexpectedly if you put the transmitter in a pants pocket (I use a bit of G tape since that happened the first time.)

There are a few other neat things, but I haven't had any coffee yet this AM.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

John Hartney
on Mar 23, 2008 at 11:22:38 pm

Ty what you and Dan Brockett wrote about the U100 series on the web is what brought me to the line. I've never been a fan of Audio Tecnhica engineering, but that's my small mind at work on me.

So, thanks to you and let's see how long the FQ range stays usable. Its going to get where frequency scanning is a must have feature. I read somewhere that the 700mzh range did poorly in the auction last week. It was mostly bought up by AT&T and Verizon. What was that about breaking up monopoolies (ha ha) to benefit the public??

http://www.wirelessstrategy.com/auction.html

I was going to bid, but, well.... but I stepped out for a beer and lost my way.

I liked it when the public still owned the airwaves and the news divisions were expected to operate at a loss as a public service... those days are over. Where are my mouse ears?

John Hartney

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]