FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Stereo Pair for Theatre Micing?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Roush
Best Stereo Pair for Theatre Micing?
on Mar 11, 2008 at 3:56:23 am

I realize that a stereo pair is not the greatest way to do this but I need to get the best sound that I can do quickly via 2 wireless setups (Evolution 100 turns any mic into a wireless).

**Note: Can't put mic stands too close to the stage.

Here is my thought. I have had my very best results with my Me-66 but the audience noise is rough. If I get another Me-66, set each one to the far right and left of the stage leaving the audience perpendicular (cutting them out somewhat) to the mic I think I can get some good results.

I feel good about this idea and the ME-66 is not a lobar so I am sure each will be able to get it's share of the stage from the distance I am thinking of.

Other suggestions or thoughts?

Todd Roush
Dreamscape Digital Media
Panny DVX-100's but changing so Sony or Cannon HDV soon.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Best Stereo Pair for Theatre Micing?
on Mar 11, 2008 at 10:57:56 am

Hello Todd and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

The ME66 is an interference tube shotgun. I think you'll find, as most have, that interference tube mics are relatively omnidirectional at mid to low frequencies. The ME66 is a bit edgey relative to its higher quality (but also interference tube) siblings; the 416 and MKH 60 and 70.

A lot depends on the dimensions of the stage. If your stage exceeds a certain width, micing from the edges as you suggest may not reach the center of the stage. As the action moves to the edges of the stage, the volume and clarity will increase.

If the stage is relatively small, you may have some success if the walls in the audience area are acoustically treated. Without knowing the specifics of the architecture of the space, it's difficult to suggest options.

Please let s us know how you do.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Peter Perry
Re: Best Stereo Pair for Theatre Micing?
on Mar 12, 2008 at 1:40:35 am

Hi Todd,
Would it be possible to hang the mics to get better placement?
Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]