FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shotgun for FX1????

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Brodner
Shotgun for FX1????
on Feb 29, 2008 at 2:56:53 pm

Hey guys/gals. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a shotgun mic for me to purchase for my Sony HDR FX1. I'm into short films, music videos, and the occasional wedding video and figured it's time to start getting this kind of equipment. I'd like some wireless mics as well but would prefer to start out with the shotgun. I'm not looking to spend a fortune but would like the best model for the buck. Let me know...thanks

Bones

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: Shotgun for FX1????
on Mar 7, 2008 at 6:54:01 pm

Are you planning on using it mounted on the camera? If so, then here are a couple of thoughts:

First, unless you're always going to be two feet away from your subject, on-camera shotgun mics are really only good for picking up ambient sound. So, if you're planning on getting good dialog or speech of any kind, you'll need to go wireless or hire a sound mixer/boom operator :o)

Second, for the EX-1, I would recommend the Sony ECM-673. It's the shortest, one of the lightest, and one of the least expensive ones out there. It's also been sold out at B&H for months, though. The other mic you might look at is the Rode NTG-1. It's about an inch longer but around the same price as the sony ($269.95). Remember, these mics are only really made to capture ambient sound and not clear dialog or speech. And, anything longer might stick into the frame on wide shots.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]