FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mic etc suggestion

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George McMorrow
Mic etc suggestion
on Feb 26, 2008 at 5:06:15 am

I first want to say that this is one of the most informative boards I have seen in a while.
I have been doing audio for a couple of years, mostly corporate and commercial. I am shooting a live sitcom style pilot with five principal actors that will moving a bit. I have a while to prep and I wanted to pick up an extra boom. I was almost settled on the neumann kmr81i, but I see how Ty seems to like the Sanken CS-3e. I guess it has a little more added versatility, and with a couple of scenes taking place in mid sized rooms, it sounds like a good one to look at. I am going to have to use some RF mics also, and will have about six sound sources all together. It is a two camera shoot, I have a mackie mixer into 302 mixer , but I am willing to step it up with something to give me discreet iso tracks and better quality audio. I am thinking about an apogee, rme, or a motu to mix to and go to logic or whatever on my g4 laptop and probably send a confidence mix to cameras which are dvx100s. Or should I look at stand alone recorders. I hear that the sound devices 744t is good with pristine sound.
Sorry for the long question, any suggetsions would certainly be appreciated
George McMorrow

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Mic etc suggestion
on Feb 26, 2008 at 12:51:45 pm

Hello George,

Wow, sounds like a busy set. :)

As you may know, sitcoms (or many TV shows) on sets frequently use several Fisher Booms http://www.jlfisher.com/booms/index.asp, several boom operators and someone to mix the whole thing.

Neumann 81's are great, but this is an interference tube shotgun mic. You can use interference tube shotgun mics on a set because sets typically don't have ceilings and only three walls for sound to bounce off of and cause unwanted reflections.

If the shoot is not on a set but in normal spaces where Fisher Booms won't fit, then there are several options. First, for the mixer. You can gang a Sound Devices 302 and a 442 to get seven inputs.

For iso recording six channels, try a hardware interface and Boom Recorder software http://www.vosgames.nl/ running on a Mac. One track of Boom Recorder will be for timecode. Boom Recorder can record Polywav files.

A polywav file shows up as one icon, but contains more than two tracks of audio, all synced together. In my own test last year, I recorded 18 track polywav files.

I would consider mixing to one or both cameras AND iso recording. The 442 has three sets of balanced outputs. Enough to feed both of your cameras. You can use the direct outs of the 442 and main outputs of the 302 to feed the audio I/O computer interface for Boom Recorder.

There's a relatively new term; "aggregatable device." On the Boom Recorder site, there's a page that lists a lot of audio I/Os that Boom Recorder is known to work with. http://www.vosgames.nl/products/BoomRecorder/compatibility.shtml
On this page you can also see where some hardware can be ganged together for more inputs.

Make sure you sort out the possibility of interference among any wireless lavs.

How's that?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]