FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sound for HV20

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joshua Beese
Sound for HV20
on Feb 24, 2008 at 11:39:05 pm

Hello,

I have read some of the advice given on this board, and it has been quite helpful. However, I would be grateful if someone could give me some advice for my short film.

I will be shooting a short film that takes place inside of an apartment and out in a street party. I will need to record dialogue of actors in both locations along with scenes containing dancing and live music.
At the moment, I have a cannon hv20, rodemic, and a macbook pro with final cut pro. My budget for sound is between US1000 and 1500.

Sennheiser m66 or Audio-Technica AT-897?

Do I need lavalier mics?

Should I record to the camcorder or to an outside source (how would I do this)?

Do I need other computer software besides FCP?

Can I use high quality in ear headphones (etymotics er 4p) for sound management?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Sound for HV20
on Feb 25, 2008 at 12:13:14 am

Hello Joshua and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

The answers to the questions you ask would require a small book to answer properly.

$1000-$1500 for a sound kit won't buy you much.

Sennheiser m66 or Audio-Technica AT-897?; A: Perhaps neither. There are much better mics and they cost more.

Do I need lavalier mics?: A: I don't know. What do you expect from your sound?

Should I record to the camcorder or to an outside source (how would I do this)? A: not a good idea for you just now.

Do I need other computer software besides FCP? A: to do what?

Can I use high quality in ear headphones (etymotics er 4p) for sound management?:A: mixing sound with headphones is not a good idea unless everyone who sees the movie is wearing headphones.

You don't mention a good mixer. Having one will improve your sound.

My advice? Take your time on this. You have a lot to learn. It's not just about buying some gear. You have to have some experience using it. Read up on gear and techniques. Maybe even hire a good location audio person for a half day to explain to you what's involved.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Joshua Beese
on Feb 25, 2008 at 12:38:26 am

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

I am living in Brazil at the moment, and given the language barrier and the cost of equipment here, I must rely on the internet for information and buy equipment during my next visit to the US.

Mr. ford, does your book explain the answers to all of my questions? When was it last updated? Thanks.

Josh

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 25, 2008 at 3:03:51 am

Hello Joshua,

My book only covers basic production sound. I wrote it for first timers. You will find it helpful but it won't answer all of your questions.

A good basic kit includes a boom, wind protection for a super cardioid for interiors or hard surfaced exteriors and a shotgun for softer exteriors, a mixer, a special cable that goes from the mixer to the camera, headphones, usually at least two wireless lav/transmitter/receiver kits.

In your case, I suggest an adapter cable because your camera does not have professional XLR audio inputs. You'll need two short female XLR to male RCA cables. Then a y-cable with two female RCA jacks that combine to a male mini TRS plug.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 26, 2008 at 12:00:16 pm

What's it mean when a post is "deactivated?"

Does that mean retracted by the author or removed by admin?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]