FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting Line to Mic Level for DV camera

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Mooney
Converting Line to Mic Level for DV camera
on Feb 21, 2008 at 9:17:12 pm

We run a video blog section for a local radio station and they have their own video camera, a Canon GL2. That camera does not have a line level input only a mic line mini plug. On certain remotes they want to take the live line level feed from the board and run it straight to the camera. I am looking for the easiest way to convert that signal to a mic line. The best case senerio would be something that would mount on the the camera. The engineer wants something that is "idiot proof". Any suggestions would be apreciated.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Converting Line to Mic Level for DV camera
on Feb 22, 2008 at 12:33:40 am

Hello Tom and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-A15LA-input-adapter-XLR-F/dp/B0006NMSXS

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Rob Forsythe
on Feb 23, 2008 at 7:23:29 pm

The Canon GL2 only has a 1/8" stereo (TRS) mic-level input.

The Shure XLR line-to-Mic pad will handle the LEVEL issue, but it will be problematic to make it "idiot proof" with needing another XLR-to mini-plug configuration (and the fact that likely the audio would only show up on Channel 1 of the camera.)

So, in this case, I'd recommend a box specifically designed for this purpose.

http://beachtek.com/dxa4.html

more-

http://dvcreators.net/beachtek-xlr-adapters

There are many models with various features and price-points that reflect the level of features offered.

Some of these even provide "phantom power" for mics that need it (and can operate on lower than 48v.)

Tom (the OP) can likely get by with a more basic model that offers Line-to-Mic-level padding and a "stereo/mono" switch.

These units are also VERY handy it that they will allow you to record the line-feed on one channel and a "live room" mic on the other channel, something that these cameras can't normally do.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 23, 2008 at 8:26:32 pm

Sorry, Rob, I disagree.

If you only have mini TRS input jacks on the camera and you want to feed the mic to the camera, there are several places to buy the correct XLR to mini TRS adapter cable for about $40. These adapter cables feed not one but BOTH tracks with the same mono audio from the mic.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

ronn kilby
on Aug 28, 2009 at 6:42:32 pm

Sorry Ty, I disagree.

I have the Beachtek and have used it as described with success on a Sony FX-1 (which only has a 1/8" TRS jack) and with a Sony HD-1000, same deal. It has a cable that plugs into that 1/8" jack, and 2 XLR inputs that accept a line level input from a mixer, or a mic. It has a "mic-line" selector for each channel, so I can take a mix from the board on one channel and a live mic from the other, or a stereo mix from the board and no mic. Which part of this do you have a problem with?

http://www.kilby.tv

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 28, 2009 at 7:33:59 pm

Ronn,

Must be miscommunication. I don't know what your disagreeing with.

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Ernie Rutledge
on Feb 10, 2009 at 5:09:33 pm

Hello,
I have a similiar problem with our church system. I want to feed the live mix from our Presounus Firestudio line output to the Sony DV camera stereo mic input to be recorded together with the video through the firewire to the computer to be used in the Vegas Movie Maker program. I am in the process of designing and building a box to interface the two. My design basicly is an isolated capacitively coupled fixed attenuation "L" pad. To make it "idiot proof" I am installing a hard wire to the output of the box to be connected to the camera. The input to the box will be a 1/4" stereo jack. Of course, there will be an adapter to go from the 1/4" output of each channel of the Firestudio line out to the box. This should be a minor thing, though. I may even just use female RCA jacks on the box instead of the 1/4" stereo configuration and convert the 1/4" mono out of the Firestudio to RCA "F". This way I can run a standard audio patch cord to the box. What is your opinion of this design?

Thanks,
Ernie

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 10, 2009 at 7:16:09 pm

Hello Ernie,

What's the output connector on you Presonus?
What's the input connector on your camera?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]