FORUMS: list search recent posts

Marantz PMD660 vs Fostex FR2le with RodeNT1a's

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hollington Lee
Marantz PMD660 vs Fostex FR2le with RodeNT1a's
on Feb 20, 2008 at 5:05:12 pm

Hi All-

In a previous post, I was trying to figure out some equipment details for recording interviews. I've decided to go simpler, with less stuff to carry around and plug in.

As you can tell from my subject line I'm looking at the Marantz PMD660 ($500) vs Fostex FR2 le ($600) for flash recorders. The Fostex is 20% more -- are the mic pre's cleaner? Is it worth the extra cost?

I am also considering buying a pair of Rode NT1a's to go with the recorder. Their web site says these are the lowest self-noise mics around. Anyone out there with any experience using these mics? How are they for spoken voice?

I'd like the get the cleanest sound possible for these interviews -- they will be part of a family history project (distributed on CD) and I'd like the quality of the recordings to be excellent i.e. "no hiss".

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--Hollington Lee

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Marantz PMD660 vs Fostex FR2le with RodeNT1a's
on Feb 21, 2008 at 4:44:51 am

Ad copy is ad copy.

What gear do you have now?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Hollington Lee
on Feb 21, 2008 at 5:51:34 am

Hi Ty-

I have a Sony vx2000 and a couple of inexpensive Sony lavs. The reason I'm looking for a different setup is that the audio from the camera is loaded with hiss. I'd like to have nice, clean, "cd-quality" audio.

I'm also looking for a setup that is relatively straightforward to set up and use because my wife (who is not as technically oriented as I am) will be conducting most of the interviews, so it has to be simpler for her to use.

Thanks for your help on this.

--Hollington Lee

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 21, 2008 at 6:10:03 am

Right back to you Hollington,

Well how about this. Try a better mic with your camera. Lavs have small diaphragms therefore they are noisy. Some a lot noisier than others. So the VX2000 doesn't have XLRs does it?

Interviews, hmmm, a locked down hypercardioid or supercardioid to a Sound Devices 302 to your camera may well reduce the hiss. A Schoeps cmc641 is the top shelf super. You could also try a Sanken CS-3e. Rent them first.

The NT1-a is a studio mic. Yes it is quiet, but it's a little edgy. And it's a cardioid and that's too wide most of the time. The mics and mixer are bound to help your sound.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]